Geophagus sp. "orange head" fry

fishyNZ

• 4 weeks later...

My apologies, it has been a while since I last updated.  I recognize the level of interest for this particular species and appreciate all previous comments.

The fry/juvies from my “A” couple (video above) are growing quite well; they are now at least 2.5cm.  I have been feeding cut prawns every other day aside from the staple Repashy/NLS mix, which is fed 3-5 times daily. They are in a small 70L tank so water changes are done daily, sometimes twice per day, at least 30% each.

On 3/16/2017 at 7:27 PM, David R said:

Wow, bit late to the party but awesome to see these being bred here!!! I'm incredibly disappointed I didn't grab some from Redwoods when I had the chance, but it looks like the species in safe hands with at least two good sized groups being kept by people willing and capable of breeding them.

@Fruju you must have missed that great article in the last edition of Aquarium World magazine if you didn't know they were in the country! :P

https://aquariumworld.nz/magazine/8-September2016

Great article.

17 hours ago, fishyNZ said:

Thanks. How's yours going? Any pairs/spawns already?

No spawns that I've seen yet. But I have a feeling two of them have paired up so will try to put them in their own tank and see what happens.

Hard to tell what they are up to cos every time I come into the room the all come flying up to the glass wanting food. hehe

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm I thought I was supposed to get email notifications for new replies to this topic, I keep forgetting to check in!!

That's awesome news FishyNZ, when ever you're ready I'll take ten of the juvis, name your price! I'm so glad to see these being bred, not just because I want some but because it's so easy for new/uncommonly imported species to disappear because nobody invested the time and money to grow out a group.  Keep up the good work!

14 hours ago, David R said:

Hmm I thought I was supposed to get email notifications for new replies to this topic, I keep forgetting to check in!!

That's awesome news FishyNZ, when ever you're ready I'll take ten of the juvis, name your price! I'm so glad to see these being bred, not just because I want some but because it's so easy for new/uncommonly imported species to disappear because nobody invested the time and money to grow out a group.  Keep up the good work!

Mine have just started going into my spam folder for some reason so it might be worth checking there :) 

On 4/20/2017 at 10:50 AM, hovmoller said:

No spawns that I've seen yet. But I have a feeling two of them have paired up so will try to put them in their own tank and see what happens.

Hard to tell what they are up to cos every time I come into the room the all come flying up to the glass wanting food. hehe

Don't want to hijack your post but my pair have finished their first spawn. Hundreds of eggs were laid on a vertical piece of wood but with 20+ bristlenoses in the tank needless to say the eggs didn't last the night. Now the pair are in their own tank ready for next round. Have already begun cleaning a rock.

• 4 weeks later...

The A-line juveniles are now 3 months old and at least 40mm TL. They're now in a 200L growout with 2 young festivums and some glowlight tetras. I only have five of them remaining.

20170526_235759.jpg

The B-line juvies are 6 weeks old and at least 25mm TL. I counted about 100 or so spread out across 3 growout tanks.  

Both parents have not yet spawned again so I may hold on to the A-line juvies and some B-lines as well just in case.

B-lines can be ready to sell once they reach at least 40mm TL perhaps in a month or two.  Maybe I should start taking pre-orders...

On 30/04/2017 at 8:15 PM, David R said:

No worries, just a couple more months.

On 2/05/2017 at 10:16 PM, hovmoller said:

Don't want to hijack your post but my pair have finished their first spawn. Hundreds of eggs were laid on a vertical piece of wood but with 20+ bristlenoses in the tank needless to say the eggs didn't last the night. Now the pair are in their own tank ready for next round. Have already begun cleaning a rock.

Congratulations! Would you consider swapping some down the line? I would definitely like to expand the gene pool.

7 hours ago, fishyNZ said:

No worries, just a couple more months.

Awesome, I'm definitely keen, but if Hovmoller has plenty available too he's a lot closer to me than you are. Either or, I'm not too worried about paying for shipping if you're ok with that?

On 5/30/2017 at 0:04 PM, fishyNZ said:

Congratulations! Would you consider swapping some down the line? I would definitely like to expand the gene pool.

Thanks yeah I left them with the parent for quite a while. Funny you said only the male would hold yours.. In my pair only the female would hold them.

I initially had 20ish but they are now down to 7 strong little 1cm fish that are now separated from the parents and doing well. Parents are slowly getting ready for next spawn I think which I hope will be more successful. The first spawn was very awkward. Female trying to attach the eggs to the bottom glass (not very successful) and the male doing his stuff up against a rock. Not very coordinated, hehe. hence the very low hatch rate.

As for swapping I am certainly not against it but just think all our fish most likely comes from the same source (perhaps even pair) overseas so would not create much genetic diversity anyway no matter how much we swap around.

• 1 month later...