Injured Dwarf Gourami - Please help!

Jcricket

Hi all,

Recently brought a 180l tank and got it through a fishless cycle. It is my new community tank and as such it become a new home for my dwarf gourami Archer. Things have been going really well, all the other tankmates are acting normally.

Last night I come home to find Archer sucked against my filter intake, I had a wee moment for him and turned off the filter and set about finding a net. I come back to the tank and hooray! Archer is alive! He was a little disorientated at first but once I got some food into him he perked up straight away and started exhibiting his normal behavior. He must have been stuck on the filter for at least 6 hours so I am a very happy man to have him survive.

Water tested with 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 10ppm nitrates - ph level exactly the same as the tank that he came from and has appeared to be thriving in. So I'm not sure what happened but water quality seems good. 

After this whole ordeal Archer has a large ding next to his spine near the top of his body and some red lines are coming through his usual blue which I do not think is natural coloration but a result of having his body sucked against the filter for so long. He appears to have made nearly a full recovery, however I am very worried about his top fin. Some of it has turned grey, almost as if it is dying off. Around the back of his fin he has developed a slight white fuzz, I have never had sick fish so I'm sorry I cannot describe it better. Please see the attached files, if anyone can tell me what it is or how I can make sure it doesn't effect him or his tank mates adversely I would appreciate it very very much. He's an awesome fish and I really want to do all I can.

Sorry if I am rambling in my panic, please let me know if anyone needs more information, I hope the photos are clear enough

image3.JPGimage1.PNGimage2.PNG 

Something must have been going on health wise for him to end up sucked against the filter in the first place.  It is a bit hard to tell from the photos what the issue is as it could be several things.  Google cotton wool on gourami and have a look at that.  If the fish is now behaving normally, swimming normally and eating normally then the problem may resolve itself with a good clean tank environment.

12 hours ago, Adrienne said:

Something must have been going on health wise for him to end up sucked against the filter in the first place.  It is a bit hard to tell from the photos what the issue is as it could be several things.  Google cotton wool on gourami and have a look at that.  If the fish is now behaving normally, swimming normally and eating normally then the problem may resolve itself with a good clean tank environment.

Yes but darned if I can work out what it was, and he bounced back so quickly. All the parameters seem very stable also - I have been testing frequently.

I don't think it is cotton wool as it really isolated to the spot where his fin is has come away and none of the cases I can find on google seem to present themselves like that. It also seems to end up with a quite a large mass of it and his seems to be coming away before more "grows".

That is the reply I am hoping for really, I have quarantined him to let him chill out and so I can watch the water quality more carefully. He really has seemed to return to his old self, I am just really worried about anything spreading from his damaged fin which is obviously quite vulnerable.

Thank you very much for your reply!