Morcs new 50g

Morcs

Ive been holidaying a bit too much in the last few years to have a tank, just bought a new house and only took a month to get a new tank :)

Picked up an Aquaone regency 220 from HFF yesterday. Its a decent sized 3 footer (similar to a 40g breeder) with sump, really REALLY nice unit comes complete with cabinet, LED lighting, heater, sump with all fittings and even media. Sump was the big draw card for me.

Took about 3 hours to build, clean and setup. Im away for a month in May so wont be stocked until after then (main reason im not doing a reef) , but in the meantime i can get it running and planted.

Plan is low tech (not too sure on the power of the LEDs) and a loose asian biotope - so lots of crypts, java ferns and some fast growers like polysperma, indian fern etc..

Fish stocking with be heavy, lots of tiger barbs and small loaches.

Tank is sitting waiting to get started, got the painters in next week and ill have to move it around, then a tonne of flourite and wood is going straight in.

IMG_20170104_181455.jpg

I have an Aquaone Ecostyle 61 in my bedroom, which is right at the bottom of the range compared to the regency series and I was worried about the power of the LED's but I have been really impressed by my plant growth. I am also using flourite for a substrate and running a low tech setup, tank has been setup for about 6 weeks and I haven't started dosing ferts yet and already I'm having to trim plants every few days, so I would vouch for Aquaone LED's and your's are probably of a higher quality.

On 1/8/2017 at 7:17 PM, gligor said:

That's an awesome looking tank. Can't wait to see photos of the planted setup. Any plans for running CO2?

Thanks, no plans to run any form of Co2. Going for shorter photo period, dosing of flourish only combined with the flourite, only factor i havent decided on is big water changes or not, as that will have a large bearing on things when well stocked.

On 1/9/2017 at 8:24 AM, Jcricket said:

I have an Aquaone Ecostyle 61 in my bedroom, which is right at the bottom of the range compared to the regency series and I was worried about the power of the LED's but I have been really impressed by my plant growth. I am also using flourite for a substrate and running a low tech setup, tank has been setup for about 6 weeks and I haven't started dosing ferts yet and already I'm having to trim plants every few days, so I would vouch for Aquaone LED's and your's are probably of a higher quality.

Good stuff, i hope so!

Did a bit of work today.

Flourite dark is in, 3 x 7kg bag, with each bag washed 7 times...

IMG_20170112_141456.jpg

Got sump lights now, some of those push leds, stuck to the underside of the cabinet

IMG_20170112_180831.jpg

Tested out the 25ft marina aquavac for filling, works a treat!

IMG_20170112_144421.jpg

Did a run / leak test, all ok except the pipe fitting straight from the drain was leaking, was concerned at how loose it was when i assembled it, with the heavy union and rest of the pipework suspended by this joint there was no way it could hold its weight. At first i used tape, but was still leaking. Used a bit of sealant, better, but minor leakage. Went nuts with the sealant this time around and ill leave it longer to ensure it seals this time!

IMG_20170112_185230.jpg

Oh and the pumps in these (aquaone moray 3600) is noisy as hell. I can hear it humming from upstairs. I removed the base and placed in on one of the filter sponges, shortened the outlet hose as it was too long and pulling the pump over on its side when not suction cupped to the sump floor. Need to find a better solution like a mouse mat or something as the sponge will just collect gunk.

IMG_20170112_180811.jpg

And the spider wood floats, so have to wait for it to sink :)

IMG_20170112_180901.jpg

One thing im not decided on is heater in the overflow or in the sump. Currently in the overflow, its nice and tidy. but it bugs me slightly that i cant see its on light when i want to.

Tank is running hot, sitting in the high 27s during the day with the heater off, as long as it doesn't go over 28 it will be fine methinks.

Few more tweaks to do to the sump in terms of media, gives me something to do whilst waiting for the wood to sink :-)

Oh and a $3 foam gardening knee pad from bunnings, perfect for sitting a return pump on!

• 3 weeks later...

2 weeks of planting and it's now full.

Was going for a loose Asian biotope but ruined it with some Ludwigia..

Plants are all low care easy growing: polyaperma, Ludwigia repens, Indian fern, tiger lotus, Wendtii crypts and windelov.

Wood is sinking but only just. Give it half a chance and it pops up. Hence after WC today the polyaperma looks a bit sad after being collected by a piece of wood uprooting.

Removed the purigen and ready to start adding fish.

IMG_20170203_213518.jpg