Help Wanted Breeding Honey Gourami

Aslund

I have recently managed to raise four Honey Gourami babies from my breeding pair, but from the hundreds of babies born only these four survived. I currently have about 100 to 200 babies who have just hatched today. Does anyone out there have any experience or advice that may help me save more?

Feed them on the smallest brine shrimp nuplii (available from fro www.brineshrimpdirect.com) and make sure that the air above the water is warm and humid. Most gourami grow at different rates so you end up with offspring of all different sizes and the smaller ones get eaten or bullied so you need lots of spare tanks so you can separate them out by size.

le

Thanks, I was thinking that I might start a brine shrimp hatchery, I bought some eggs a while ago and have hatched a couple of batches but I wasn't sure if they were too big for the Gourami babies, so thanks for that, also do they eat boiled egg yolk or anything like that?

Cheers!

You can feed that but it is very easy to overfeed and cause a bacterial bloom that will starve the fish of oxygen. I have always used live brine shrimp nuplii as they stay alive for a while and move. This encourages the fry to eat and you can see the nuplii in their belly and be assured that they are feeding ok. 

Infusoria/microworms are another alternative that tend to stay alive in fresh water for a longer period of time. If you have an old sponge filter, squeeze it out a couple times in some old tank water and chuck a small (maybe thumbnail-sized) piece of crushed lettuce/dandelion/similar leaf in, leave out in the sun for a week, and then look carefully for little cloudy moving rod-like objects with a magnifying glass.

Ceriodaphnia and similar small zooplankton can be cultured in that water as well, and their young are definitely bite-sized for fry. Bigger daphnia (e.g. Daphnia carinata) have young that is too big though.

• 4 weeks later...