My Geos

Tread50

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, smile4guenta said:

Sorry for old bump of the thread, but looking at getting some Geophagus Surinamensis which these look like if i am correct? 

They look really healthy B|, may I ask where did you purchase these from and what is your water/feeding/tank size etc like? 

A more accurate species name for these is Geophagus altifrons. So you should research that name.

Note that they do become rather large when adult (25cm+) so tank size and especially footprint size is important.

When mature they can become quite territorial toward other geos so have that in mind too.

Awesome fish!

5 hours ago, hovmoller said:

A more accurate species name for these is Geophagus altifrons. So you should research that name.

Note that they do become rather large when adult (25cm+) so tank size and especially footprint size is important.

When mature they can become quite territorial toward other geos so have that in mind too.

Awesome fish!

Hovmoller, have you bred Geophagus? If so any tips?

Yes I have. G. altifrons and G. steindachneri

I currently have some G. sp "Orange Head" that I hope will also breed.

They are quite easy to breed actually, just keep them in a properly sized tank with sand and treat them well and they will pair and breed happily when mature. Lots of info online on how to keep the different Geophagus species

On 2/21/2017 at 10:18 AM, hovmoller said:

Awesome fish!

Thanks hovmoller for the info! had a good read about them. :)

I currently have in make 400 Ltr tank that I am thinking will be home whilst juveniles , and within the year hoping for upwards of a 600ltr+ tank. 

also had a look at the  Orange Head , may ask where did you get these? don't think I have seen any at LFS around Auckland. 

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been here for a while, Geos are growing well they are slowly getting more of the iridescent blue colouring and their fins are getting nice and long. I purchased mine from HFF Mt Roskil good quality fish haven't had and issues. I feed quite a variety of dry foods mainly sinking type, also frozen cichlid food and if they are around mosquito larvae (which they go mad for). I do slightly over feed them because they seem to sift constantly and food is always gone.

Hovmoller, I think you were very lucky getting red/orange heads as I tried getting some after seeing yours, but apparently they aren't or weren't on the list.

My tank is 480ltrs and I may have to thin numbers by a couple once they are full size.      

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in auckland there are 3 or so shops that stock G. surimamensis, I am also setting up a tank at the moment for these fish. I am looking to put 8-10 fish in

with some congo tetras and 6 juraparis! Anyone can help with best substrate to use for these fish.

11 hours ago, reggie1224 said:

If you are in auckland there are 3 or so shops that stock G. surimamensis, I am also setting up a tank at the moment for these fish. I am looking to put 8-10 fish in

with some congo tetras and 6 juraparis! Anyone can help with best substrate to use for these fish.

Sand. I just got play sand from Mitre 10. You just have wash it and wash it again and then wash it again ha ha. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...