Stocking a 500 litre reef tank

damiem

So I'm new to the saltwater community, this is going to be my first tank. The tank is (L)140cm by (H)60 by (W)60  with a sump that is 120cm by 50cm by 45cm. The tank is going to be a reef tank, for stocking im going to have 2 clowns, 3-5 chromis, 1 copperband butterflyfish, 1 kole tang. What other tangs can I keep with the kole tang, I was thinking maybe a purple tang but they're a bit on the pricey side, what tangs would you recommend??

Hi again :)

When I started out I was told that if you get a group of chromis they will eventually pick each other off until none remain.  So I got two and eight months later I still have two. Occasionally the slightly larger one nips the smaller one, a lot of chasing also goes on but they are doing well.  Copperbands need to go in a more mature tank - 9 months onwards unless you know they are eating frozen foods or mussels/clams.  They like to pick in the rocks for pods which take a long time to establish and will also pick off feather fans, bristleworms, brittle stars and hopefully aptasia which is the pest anemone.

With a tank that size you have most tangs as an option and there are a few currently available in the country.  There are also two type of Kole Tang (blue eye and Hawaiian/Red Sea which is a yellow eye).  When you do add them try and get similar sized ones and add together as this will decrease the chance of aggression.  Love the purple tangs - the ones around currently are stunning fish. :)

The best bit of advice I ever got - which you seem to be doing anyway - is work out what fish you want before you buy a single one.  That way you can add them to the tank in an order which is likely to improve the chance of survival and lower aggression.  Good work.

I'm leaning towards having 3 tangs, kole tang, mimic lemon peel tang and a sailfin tang. Would they be fine together I'm just not sure if the sailfin will outgrow the tank. I'm already planning to get a bigger tank within the next year or so, the bigger tank will be 240cm by 90cm by 76cm. I might make it a bit smaller on the height and potentially on the width but I really like the 3ft width. 

Width being front to back?  That is something I really wish my tank had as it is only 51cm and therefore I can't get the impression of a real reef.  They should be fine together with enough hiding places and if added at the same time.  Like humans, not all fish get along so just have a back up option if it goes wrong.

So would the those 3 tangs most likely get along in the 500 litre tank. I've done a bit of plying around with the rock work so I'll try to get a photo up of that. For the big tank build I dicided if the tank is going on my room it would only be 180 in length by 70cm in height and 80 cm front to back otherwise I can fit it through my door so I'll have to remove my window which I'm worried will cost a lot considering I'm only 14 years old. Tonight when my mum gets back I'm going to try to convince her to let me set up a large tank in the lounge? Probably 240 x 90 x 70 

I don't really blame your mum for not being keen.  Marine tanks are a lot more power heavy to run than freshwater and more expensive to maintain.  Then there is trying to arrange the furniture around the tank :)  With a marine tank you will likely go through a lot of rearranging of the rock to fit corals in with the look you want as well.