Dwarf Puffers -> Big Tank?

Zimbaliza

Hi,

I have a small problem, (well rather 4 small problems), I'm looking at going on holiday for a few weeks,

and my current house/fish sitters, I normally use, are still in OZ, and will not be back in time, I am wondering, if I should move my dwarf puffers (4) into my main tank, and use an automatic feeder, I am thinking the amount of snails, in there should be enough to keep them going... (currently, it has been my source of food for them, for the last 9 months, with the morning and night harvest of snails! for them). they also,get a mix of white worms & mossies/daphnia. (all live)

the puffers, are pretty tiny, (the size of a pea, also known as pea puffers) I'm pretty sure they will give a few of my guys a bit of a nip... but most of the fish are pretty quick, that and the tank is rather huge.

Main tank is 750 litre, planted community tank, so plenty of snails!!

• 45 Corys
  • 3 Large kissing goramnis
  • 3 chain loaches
  • 2 kulli loaches
  • 2 Whiptail cats
  • 100+ tetras

looking at being away for 3-4 weeks (friends wedding in India)

I think it would be a big ask, even getting my sitters, to do the crazy stuff I do to feed these little guys!

other idea, as, I may have a 6 day period of no one in the house... (maybe able to get a friend in to feed 'em)

use a brine shrimp hatch and feed system for the puffers?? would it be able to keep up with the puffers for 6 days??

https://www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-Feeder-Shrimp-Hatchery-Aquariums/dp/B002DVREP8

I have one at home, just never used it, I have probably a gap, of about 6 days... before my Fish Sitters would be available

anyone tried one of these in the past?

-Chris

hatch.jpg

Edited by Zimbaliza

nah, the little bastards, only eat live food, probably have been told by there mums, "if it don't wiggle! don't nibble!"

found they will not touch frozen blood worms, yes, I probably could train them to eat... with wiggling them around... but have easyer access to other live foods, I have read that sometimes if they are in a community tank, they can 'learn' to take flake etc, after seeing the other fish eating it...

I did have them eating a worming tablet... but I'm guessing they were confused... it looked a little life daphnia flooting in the tank

Anyway, I may have sorted out my problem.. with just a small gap between, my leave date and the arrival of my house sitters.. is now down to 3 days!!

I could probably overdose 'em with SNAILS! to keep them going, dumped a big chunk of weed in from my big tank into the puffy tank in the weekend!, also some sponge filters from my baby cory tank (covered in snails)... I haven't had any of the puffys complaining about food all week!! (yep they all have fat little tummys!!)

-Chris

Edited by Zimbaliza
getting rid of image