Algae

Blank

Hi wondering if anyone has any advice on controlling algae in a newly cycled mbuna tank? I have diatoms which I believe should disappear on their own but I also have is it called black beard algae on my drift wood and plants. I'm aware that reducing lights on time will help but was thinking of something quick and effective eg: treatment or maybe UV set up anyone got any suggestions?

UV only works on algae in the water column as it needs to pass through the UV sleeve.  Given you have a cichlid tank I am assuming you have plants like anubias in there which are prime bba targets as they are so slow growing.  You can remove and bleach the plants to get rid of it if needed, otherwise as Markdn says you can dose flourish excel dependent on the fish, and the plants you have.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been using the florish excel and plants seem to be growing well and fast but they are covered in algae all the time and im over it so they are all getting pulled out. Im adding a canister filter in addition to the built in hood filter (its an aquaone ar980) anyone done this where did they drill holes for tubing?