ICH HELP

CalebLS

Have just noticed some ich on a few cardinals and a moly, I will be putting them in their own tank with the temp at 32. What else do I do? Btw their are bristlenose in the tank aswell. How long does it take to go away and can it be fixed? Please help

TBH there is not much point putting them in their own tank but ultimately it is up to you.  Ich is a parasite, always present but only shows itself when conditions within the tank are not ideal ie parameters, stress.  It has a seven day cycle and is only treatable when it can not be seen - when it is in the water column or in the substrate.  If you can see it on the fish then it has buried itself under the 'skin' and medications won't work until it releases and falls through the water column into the substrate where it bursts and releases hundreds more spores.  Turn your temperature up and add an airline to increase the amount of water movement in the tank.  Ideally you would treat with tonic salt in the water however your bristlenose won't handle much salt.  Turning the temperature up with speed up the cycle so ensure you vacuum the substrate daily to remove any hatching cysts.  

If you do put them in their own tank you can treat with salt or tonic (works better than white spot cure), once again make sure you put an airline in to increase the amount of water movement in the tank.  Once you have not seen any spots for twenty one days then you can consider it is over, until next time.  Any idea what caused this outbreak?

30 will be fine but 30 is high for most fish except discus.  If you don't want to add an airline ensure that your filter is creating as much a disturbance on the surface of your tank as possible.  If you see your fish, particularly the bristlenose coming up to the surface then you need to increase the water movement.  28 won't speed up the cycle much, 30 degrees will but that is the limit that most fish can handle. 

Whitespot normally attacks the gills before you see the spots on the fish. This is making the uptake of oxygen difficult and to raise the temperature makes it worse as the water will hold less oxygen, then you add salt which decreases the oxygen even further. The fish are getting pretty stressed out by now. Why not leave the temperature where it is and treat with one of the many suitable whitespot cures available?

In my opinion, white spot comes with new fish.

A bare tank, with no substrate is necessary for successful treatment.

White spot cure, works for me. Just about always,at higher doses than recommended.

It is such a pain in the proverbial, that I will not, under any circumstances, put un quarantined fish in my main tank.

Bristlenose, die wholesale, if left untreated.

So it's day 5 of treating, and no deaths so far so pretty happy about that, I have been treating wonder tonic and it works a charm! The seven day cycle will finish Tuesday, but may keep dosing a little. From now on I will try and quarantine my fish, if I have a spare tank.

It would be a miracle if you managed to get rid of whitespot within one seven day cycle nb it will only be a seven day cycle if your tank is sitting around 30.  Treat for 10 days and if you see no spots watch for another 11.  If clear then, that lot of whitespot will be gone - however whitespot is always in the water, each time the fish are stressed there is the chance it will return.