Deciding On New Plants And Fish For A Tank

Hey guys, !

I have a 70l tropical aquarium which I have had trouble keeping clean and stable recently. I have asked around about this on both this forum and other sites, and the feedback has mostly been an excess of nutrients and light, Since I only feed a small amount once a day, and now have quite a tight light schedule now, I don't think the problem is me overfeeding etc. Instead, I think the problem might lie in my lack of plants. Since I live in a relatively small area, I don't have a specialized aquarium shop, or a pet shop that sells fish/fish products at all and while trade me has been a lifesaver, it doesn't quite compare to being able to pick out your own plant specimens and assess their health before purchase. So, this week I am heading to a larger city where there will be plants, and I have quite a big budget, so am hoping to come home with a large number of aquatic plants, and possibly some new fish for the tank. I have a more detailed description of my tank and its contents here: http://aquariumworld.nz/forums/topic/44897-algae-cleanliness-problems/ with the only diffrence being I have brought a plain terracotta pot for the benifit of my catfish since then. I look forward to your aquascaping and stocking ideas and opinions!

Thanks in advance! 

IMG_0007.JPG

If you cut the polysperma in half and re plant them that will help.

Try to avoid stems from shops as a start as sometimes it is hard to convert them to submersed growth.  If you can find some floating indian fern grab some of that as it will suck out nutrients fast and block out some light. 

Also, that sword will get giant, and will dominate the tank in no time, maybe swap it for a standard amazon sword.

What city are you traveling to?

Look in the shop tanks very carefully. My neighbour bought a plant from a tank infected with black beard algae and it quickly took over her tank as well.

I can offer you Java moss, red rotala and Crypt affinis if you would like some. Cost of postage only (usually $6.50 or $9.00 if tracked depending on what size box I can find to fit the prepay bag.)

Cam's suggestion of water sprite is a good one.