Large Plastic Tote

fmueller

So I have finally started setting up my first tank in NZ.  Talked to Greg Kingston, and he is going to built me a 3000x600x600, which he is able to do for a good price.  Got myself some lumber and started building a stand.  Ordered some bits and pieces, and am generally getting ready to roll.

I am finding some of the things I never expected to have any trouble with turn out to be the hardest nuts to crack!  For example sump containers.  In the US I went to Walmart and grabbed two 45G (about 170L) Sterilite totes for around $15 each.  I seem to recall getting them half price at the time, but never mind that.  They aren't pretty, and they aren't very tough, but with the sides being supported by lumber in the cabinet, they held water just fine for 8 years without looking any worse for the wear.  Naturally I was planning on going that route again.

The last couple of days I have been hitting various hardware and storage shops on the North Shore, and the largest plastic tote I can get is 100L.  I won't talk about the price - better not to think about it - but there has to be something bigger out there!  Is nobody is NZ using storage containers larger than 100L?  That is tiny!  I was hoping to upgrade from 45G and use at least 50G or 60G.  Am I crazy or am I just not looking in the right stores?  The closest I have come has been Bunnings, Mitre10 and Storage Box on Link Rd in Glenfield.

Fish bins tend to be a lot smaller than 100L.  You don't want to carry a 100L bin full of fish!  I forgot about the good ol Warehouse!  That's definitely worth trying.

I probably shouldn't sweat this too much.  It's a 1000L tank.  If the sump has 200L or 400L hardly makes any difference.  It's only that I never expected having a problem picking up a 200L tote from Bunnings or Mitre10, and now they don't seem available at all!  Should have brought some from Ohio.  I am sure I gave some away at our last garage sale, because it's not something I thought worth bringing.  I mean they come from China anyhow.  How come they get shipped to the US so Walmart can sell them for $10, and we don't get any? 

I think it is "Gutter Witch" brand have water storage containers designed to run off your down pipe, maybe around the right volume but wrong shape, more like barrels from memory. 

Massive market /massive volume of turn over vs our tiny one...we pay more. 

• 2 weeks later...