DIY Betta Trio Filtration

cyclonenat

• 1 month later...

Wow, so many posts just don't get an answer, do they? 

Have you had a look at the filtration system on the Aqua One betta trio? It uses a small charcoal cartridge followed by a small bio-bead cartridge, and two sponges. I have made changes to mine though, to make it more powerful as a bio filter, seriously reducing the water change frequency needed. 

Where the two cartridges go I have put another sponge instead, then in the first empty area before the two sponges I put charcoal, and in the empty area after the two sponges I put bio noodles.

If you are making your own, then something like that would be easy to set up.

Fighters - long fins/long tails- don't handle a lot of flow directly into the tank as they struggle to swim upright and once tired get sucked in against the uplift strainer.  Sponge filters are good, cannister filters where the inlet isn't blowing right across the tank but where the flow is broken down works well.  Sponge filters mean more maintenance as they do not pick up all the muck but are very gentle.  

Just thinking - something that is rare :)  Grab yourself something like a turkey baster or syringe and suck out any waste/food off the bottom daily or every couple of days.  The sponge filters do a great job of free floating particles but by doing this it will prevent the fins/tail getting mucky when the fighter rests on the bottom.  It just helps with the tank hygiene and they do like clean water :)  Not sure why, the rice paddies I saw them in ten days ago were pretty yuck!

... and they do like clean water :)  Not sure why, the rice paddies I saw them in ten days ago were pretty yuck!

That's because those ones are wild. The ones we have are a lot more fluffy and ponsy, and like clean water with their blue cheese and chardonnay - lol. Actually, I've always kind of wondered about that myself. Cool that you got to see them in the wild! 

Yes it was very cool and yes it is because the ones we have are fancy, not the wild bettas.  It was great, we were fortunate to be motorcycling northern Thailand and the monsoon season had started therefore some could be seen in the real wilderness, off the beaten track.