Aquarist job

diyer

Hi to all,

Because my original plan to move to New Zealand failed, I wonder whether it is possible to find an aquarist job in New Zealand and whether it is possible to live from that kind of job.

I would like to hear your opinions and experiences.

Every information would be helpful.

By Aquarist what do you mean? There can be several types of jobs available here - tank maintenance (as said above, mostly part time stuff, unless working for a range of companies rather than individuals), retailing/sales assistants, ownership of a retail store (a small market here), working in import/quarantine facility (requires training, understanding and following of strict rules), biosecurity, or working in commercial aquariums (qualifications may be necessary, I've been told being able to dive is typically necessary). I've not noticed many public job ads so it can be a bit of a "know someone who knows someone" type thing. Reputation can be very helpful (being a small country, it can be a bit easy to become known - for good or bad reasons), but it all depends on where you apply.

Personally I cannot offer any advice as to what the pay is like, but many here work (or have worked) full time in retail stores.

Edited by alexyay

I just waited at least two replies, thank you both.

Work in a public aquarium is not an option because I dive like an ax and I don't have necessary qualifications. 

I was thinking on retailing/sales assistant but, honestly, my English is not the best ( IELTS General 6.5)

The majority of members here have a branded tanks or they just made their own. My tanks building skill is not usefull, too. 

I found two ads on the most popular site for advertising in NZ and I applied. Will apply with a company that has an ad on its own website,too, but I do not think it will  be considered at all. As aquaristics as business is concerned, situation in NZ is similar as it is in Serbia: money is not a problem because there is no money. Just passion.

Edited by diyer

I think you are right about the passion.  There is money here but those with a lot of it pay maintenance companies to maintain their tanks.  

English - well I would think that a large number of aquatic workers in retail shops have English as a second language but I might be biased being based in the part of the country that I am.