Maxines killis - volcanum adventure

maxxi1

• 3 weeks later...

Volcano Killifish -  Aphyosemion volcanum

A Beautiful longer bodied fish with a lyre tail effect - stunning colouration and colour varies greatly on where the wild fish have been caught.  

Size/Length: To 2" (5 cm)
Similar species: Other fish of the sub-genus Chromaphyosemion.
Aquarium: A tank measuring 20" (51 cm) with a capacity of 10 gallons (38 L) is sufficient.   Use a dark substrate with subdued lighting.  Plant the tank heavily and provide hiding places among roots and wood.  
Water chemistry: pH 5.5-7 (6.3), 1-10 dH (2), 77-81°F (25-27°C)
Social behavior: Males are aggressive towards one another, otherwise this species is peaceful.  
Sexual differences: Males have longer fins and are more colorful.
Breeding techniques: Use a spawning tank heavy infested with Java Moss and a substrate of peat moss.   The moss should be removed weekly and stored in a plastic bag in a dark area with a temperature from 64-75°F (18-24°C).   After two or three weeks the eggs can be placed in their own tank having soft water.   Start feeding with Artemia nauplii.   The eggs may have a better hatching rate if cooler water is used a first.

So thats what the internet says, the internet also says that this fish is very sensitive to water conditions, I now know this to be very true

So my adventure begins with a package from Rodneys tropicals -

A Pair of Valcanum go into their new tank.

These fish from the first day I got them I have struggled to feed. I know live food - but I honestly can say I dont think I ever saw the male eat once, and the female only when white worms were being fed - but gen two will be better as they will have grown with me.

so my tank is set up with java moss, bit of peat floor, spoinge filter and LIDS hahahaha

I got these guys early December and its with sad news im reporting today I have lost the adults, Both were showing dropsy symptoms and have not come through, but i do have about 20 odd fry to continue their legacy.......

I dont use the breeding technique above (i kinda thought why would you kill a bag of Java like that!) - but this is what ive done.

I used spawning mops - now generally I can see eggs and remove them from mops - but these two fish were sooooo fussy - they would lay on the sponge filter over the spawning mop - so since the spawning mops were failing i moved them to the hatching tank (just in case) and chucked java moss in - so this is the same technique I use for my clown Killies , Java in and in 10 days or just less it gets moved to the hatching tank and in goes a new lot. - this appeared to work very well.

Amazing coloured fish - I dont recommend them to beginners as well even I dont think ive succeeded in these fish yet as Ive lost the parents. - pictures of parents to come

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I added all my pictures to Dropbox so I could add them here quickly and it appears they don't work. So yay....

And yes sometimes I read that also...

This fish was possibly under a different classification ... which has been bought to my attention also. 

And sadly I'm reporting I have now lost both parents. I'm putting it down to the heat we've been getting. 

Don't stress I do have babies and they take 5 months to sexually mature so now I get to just enjoy having babies for a bit.