Aqua Ecostyle47 - overstocked?

Sandy

Hi everyone,

Ive set up my ecostyle47 (38L) and its good to go.  Have cycled with stuff taken from my 270L tank so all is good.  Ive transferred over 3 otos and 10 neons.  Is this too much.  I know I am probably close to the edge on this although aqadvisor says Im ok.

Any ideas, maybe drop back on neons??

Thanks

What you can do with the Ecostyles is to ditch the carbon cartridges and put in bionoodles and larger sponges instead. Its much more media for good bacteria to attach to, which means your water parameters are more stable. I had up to 20 mountain minnows in a Ecostyle 47, and it was my most stable tank, only needing water changes once every two to three weeks.

dsgsgss.jpg

Yeap, totally agree - Ive already ditched the carbon cartridges and put some bio balls and noodles on the bottom with sponges and wool over the top.  They have been a bit subdued but this morning they are starting to race around the tank which is a good sign that they are getting used to their new environment. The otos seem happy too as I transferred over a nice piece of driftwood with lots of algae on it while the tank gets a chance to build up some of its own.

I may still look at the next size up and keep this as a quarantine tank, just to give them a bit more room but will see how they go.  Would love some albino corys but wont even think about it with this smaller tank.

20160112_071042.thumb.jpg.d8e0a648e1b02d

Edited by Sandy
added photo