low maintenance low tech planted tank build

A.PROPHECY

haven't had an tank in maybe 5 years but decided to take the plunge again knowing the risk of mts haha

plan with this tank is for to be a low maintenance planted aquarium , with no co2 or too much intense lighting to keep costs down , luckly my favorite plants are all the low light species , java ferns anubias and what not , which dont require as much care as some other species.

The tank is a custom 1000l x 600w x 700 high , two 32mm holes drilled to plumb a fx5 directly to the back of the tank as i didn't want any hoses in the tank , heres some photos of tank , diy 4x2 stand which ill make doors and trim for one day , fx5 plumbed up and driftwood arrangement 

IMG_20151212_122725.jpg

IMG_20151214_125702.jpg

IMG_20151214_222827.jpg

i decided i also didnt want a heater inside the tank so ordered a inline heater from the uk , was a bit of a mission installing as its only has a 12mm inlet and outlet , and the fx5 has 25mm pipes , couldn't find the right reducer so just used a whole lot of hansen fittings to do it , looks weird and kinda ugly haha but does the job 

i know this must reduce flow a bit , but you dont even notice that with such a big filter on a small tank 

IMG_20151219_102158.jpg

Next was filling the tank , which i had a few issues with..

spider wood floated so had to tie it all down with rocks , thankfully you cant really seem them and there covered in sand as ideally i did not want any rocks in there.

second issue was one of my bulkheads had a tiny leak!!  i didn't want to drain the whole tank so slapped some silicon on and thankfully it stopped it!

IMG_20151216_235533.jpg

IMG_20151217_000127.jpg

so here it is currently , kicking myself for buying crypts as its kinda going away from the theme i wanted , so will be selling/swapping them if i can for some anubias 

Running two 39w t5s that seem to light it up rather well but would like to add some led's at some stage for that shimmer effect 

IMG_20151219_102554.jpg

Between the bend and that inline heater the flow must be reduced a fair bit but I got no way of truly measuring that , just by eye. 

I knew that would be the case and that's why I got an fx5 , anything smaller and I may have had a flow issue

I don't even have the taps on the fx5 fully open , great filters!

• 3 weeks later...

Do you want aprophecy back?

if possible? 

here is an update ,did a rescape , still a few plants to add to fill it in more , also going to add xmas moss when i get some 

removed crypts and now its strictly only plants that will attach to wood and rocks , nothing in the substrate .

just using one 39w 6500k t5 over the tank now as two was too much light , also dosing flourish once a week

current plants are

Philippine java fern  

narrow leaf java fern

congo fern

anubias nana

anubias nana petite 

anubais barteri

anubias minama

IMG_20160117_205639.jpg

Edited by wendelbro