Wave maker/ powerhead in freshwater aquarium?

VINZ FISH

I was thinking about installing a powerhead in my 165l freshwater aquarium to get the water moving it would be nice if you could give me some tips and advice

Put it in, plug it in, move it around until you like the current.  Angels, discus and bettas don't seem to like them because they're wimpy swimming fish that can't handle a gentle current.

A powerhead around the 3000lph range would probably be good for that size, give you a nice current.

Put it in, plug it in, move it around until you like the current.  Angels, discus and bettas don't seem to like them because they're wimpy swimming fish that can't handle a gentle current.

A powerhead around the 3000lph range would probably be good for that size, give you a nice current.

Hey Ira!

thank u very much I appreciate it. I don't have any angels or betas so I reckon I would be fine

I have an Eheim 2217 canister filter rated at 1000lph on a 200L tank.  There is simply too much outflow that a powerhead, a wavemaker or even an aeration device (ie bubblemaker/airstone) is not required.  The spray bar was even aimed at the walls to reduce some current.

Try experimenting with a custom spraybar (ie PVC pipe); drilling smaller/less holes can increase output pressure which increases surface disturbance or turbulence.  Bigger/more holes can reduce (output).  Somewhere in between could be the flow you're looking for.

Try experimenting with a custom spraybar (ie PVC pipe); drilling smaller/less holes can increase output pressure which increases surface disturbance or turbulence.  Bigger/more holes can reduce (output).  Somewhere in between could be the flow you're looking for.

Have just ordered a very small 1000lph "wave maker" (really a power head because it doesn't pulse) myself.  The tank has heaps of current along the bottom where I want it but plan on using the wave maker to move the surface of the water more.  Because of the eddies from the pump return, the water circulates around the tank nicely but the surface is fairly stationary and doesn't skim off into the overflow as much as I would like.  The wave maker will be set at the top of the tank and should push the surface water towards the overflow.

Its not needed but I figure why not give it a try.  Also to be honest my main reason for trying one is that hopefully it will create some ripples and give a nice shimmer effect from the LED's. :D

Just remembered this old video of my tank showing the current with my Jebao RW-8

It's 8000 liters per hour in a 440L tank.  I'm kind of regretting only getting one, because I think it could do with more current.

Wow amazing tank and good current thanks!