And so it begins - a year on update 26/2/17

Adrienne

Late 2008 and I picked up an ex-marine tank (450 litres) and stand from Napier.  It came with a sump and pvc piping but not being remotely interested in marines at that time and having no knowledge of sumps, I set it up as a planted discus tank.  After twelve months of persistent dripping from the pipes going into the sump, the sump was sold off and a FX5 took its place.  Discus, followed by Rainbowfish, then Discus again, followed.

plantedtank88aug-1.jpg

DSC08639_zps0de805da.jpg

IMG_0001_zps0k6hmzuw.jpg

Last year hubby and i set up a Red Sea Max C-250.  Move on 14 months and the discus/rainbow tank has been emptied and plans are underway for a conversion back to a marine.  Many told me this would happen, I should have listened!

The stand is currently being stripped of its varnish - a long, slow and noisy job.  The sump design is in the planning, and I have a skimmer and return pump on order.

I will post in this thread as progress is made :)

Received a message today to say the sump & ATO are ready for collection.  Only trouble is that I haven't finished sanding!!  I will have to store it in the spare bedroom.

12170155_10153800106833013_1905111970_n.

12177908_10153805193468013_587240340_n.t

The only difference to the above design is that the ATO (right hand end) is now a seperate tank to the sump.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a huge amount to report.

The tank has gone away for re-sealing and a tidy up and for drilling, as has the sump.

The ATO is now in the cabinet.

I picked up my new Hailea A-500 chiller today from Ronnie at New Pupuke Aquarium Centre.  Thanks Ron :)

Last night I collected another 18kg of Walt Smith rock, bringing the total amount I now have to around 43kg.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update.

My tank arrived back yesterday looking heaps tidier than when it left with new silicon around the edges, the overflow and circulation outlets attached.  The photos are not great - the tank is in a high light room as it faces a wall of floor - ceiling windows and my Christmas tree means I can not pull the drapes at the moment - but you will get the general idea.

IMG_0006.thumb.JPG.761996b3853af0154ae85

IMG_0012.thumb.JPG.c2b673ccd4667ab1d91a2

IMG_0010.thumb.JPG.a89a9ccf0c9bdaa039617

IMG_0012.thumb.JPG.c2b673ccd4667ab1d91a2IMG_0012.thumb.JPG.c2b673ccd4667ab1d91a2

My rabbitfish from the 250 has to go in to it and so the CBB will have to go too as they are best mates.  However the rabbitfish will be the last fish added.

Looking at a moorish idol, a blue tang, pair of clowns and probably a couple of mandarins (may just try and move the existing one) and of course shrimp etc etc.  Not sure what else at this stage as no where near ready.  

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice Adrienne, good to see the young fella on the job:D

Yes, I am greatly appreciative of the assistance and the work he is doing for me on this.  I don't have the necessary experience and skill so being able to get someone to come and in organise the setup and do the build has been fabulous.

It has been confirmed by my son in law, a registered sparky, that the loading this new setup is going to place on the circuit that runs to the sockets behind the tank - is going to more than overload it.  Therefore this week he will be running cables through the ceiling from the circuit the master bedroom is on to enable the tank to operate.  We have worked out that it will use a minimum of 6 amps at any given time.  The hall cupboard sits around the corner from the tank so the new power sockets will be put in the cupboard and the multiplugs and light powerbox will also be in the cupboard.  A hole will be cut in the wall to run the cables through and then a small cage placed over the inside of the cupboard to prevent any plugs being knocked when the vacuum cleaner is taken out or put back in.  I will take photos of the progress if I am here when it happens.  

We can not add to our existing switchboard (if anyone was wondering why we just don't do that).

We live in a school house which is about 20 years old but had add ons done before our time.  The one circuit feeds garage, kitchen (not range), lounge, dining room, sunroom, hall and bathroom and the wall the new tank set up will be on is on that circuit.  We've known for a couple of years that it is fully loaded as having the dishwasher and clothes dryer on when I switch the vacuum cleaner on will trip the circuit, if the panel heater in the hall is also running.

I've done the multi boards on multi boards in my time and once a fireman visiting to pick up fish told me that he sincerely hoped it was the only time he would visit looking at what I had done. However that room was a different house and had its own circuit. 

Lights aren't too bad but chiller adds a bit onto the rest of the loading.  So lights, 500 watt heater, chiller, skimmer, pump, 2 x wavemakers, ATO to start with.  Having a chiller in our lounge is not an option but I am wondering how much noise two chillers running will make - if both tank chillers come on at the same time :)

Edited by Adrienne

Today the wire was run up the bedroom wall, through the ceiling cavity and down the lounge wall into the hall cupboard.  The photos show it all :)

Hole lounge side (sits just behind the tank)

hole_in_wall_lounge.thumb.jpg.a22f7a8a7b

Power points in place in hall cupboard (backs the lounge wall)

inside_cupboard.thumb.jpg.73c4a5b17fe39a

Lounge side with labelled cables for tank equipment

wall_socket.thumb.jpg.f9d565a9216f991b84

Hall cupboard side with plugs in sockets - all labelled.  Lighting box currently sitting on the carpet but will be placed on the wall.

hall_cupboard.thumb.jpg.f8e0f2a23dc76e3b

and the tank from the front

568b28491f396_tank_5115.thumb.jpg.64a2af

Edited by Adrienne

Today Raymond plumbed the tank :)  A big job!

Right hand rear of tank

right_hand_side.thumb.jpg.ed653b7dcb32bf

Left hand rear of tank

left_side.thumb.jpg.b8f5bd4da0cc4dc9df3c

From a distance

front_view.thumb.jpg.e195ce7adf7d631d1c6

Front closeup

front_closeup.thumb.jpg.2cf342957f483aab

My next decision is to where I place the controllers.  Then the wires will be tidied up and in a couple of weeks a test on the plumbing etc will be run.

Edited by Adrienne

• 1 month later...

The Walt Smith rock has been added and two trips made to the Takapuna Boat Ramp to collect NSW which I then pumped through a 1 micron filter to prevent parasites etc getting in to the tank.  The tank was filled on 27 January.  NB the small piece of rock centre front won't be staying there.

56badbc73f2ee_full_tank_27116.thumb.jpg.

left side

56badbd5c1030_left_side_shot_27116.thumb

right side

56badbef84edf_right_side_tank_27116.thum

On 4th February the skimmer was turned on and a small piece of live rock added (from my other tank).  Since then a bag of coral rubble has been added to the sump and a prawn (dead) put in to the tank to start the cycle.  No readings so far.  

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  As of yesterday my readings on the tank had settled.  A 10% waterchange was done using NSW and a largish leather mushroom with galaxy star polyps growing on the lower stem was added.

This morning two blue chromis were added to the tank.  Now I sit and wait :)

IMG_0151 copy.jpg

IMG_0153 copy.jpg

IMG_0156 copy.jpg