Molly Hunt 2015

Silverdollarboy2

Here you go everyone. Some info on the Great Molly Hunt organised by the Waikato Aquarium Society. Also info on the clubs Facebook page. Photos below are from a previous molly hunt

Cheers

Trevor

Secretary

Waikato Aquarium Society

CLUB EVENT. All other FNZAS Clubs are invited also

THE GREAT MOLLY HUNT

Weekend 19-20 September at Tokannu

This is shaping up to be a great weekend out even for the family. If you are not aware on the southern end of Lake Taupo near Tokannu in some of the geothermal heated swamps there are small populations of wild mollies. A few years ago members of our club and other FNZAS clubs had an eventful weekend getting into the muddy swamp and catching the mollies. So we have decided to do it again.

We already have a few members coming plus others from other clubs.

On Saturday on the way down we will be visiting the Prawn Farm just before Taupo and then the trout hatchery in Turangi. Most of us have booked accomodation at the Oasis Motel for Saturday night. (Ph 07 386 8569 to book.) I believe they are doing discount if you mention that you are part of this event. Accommodation is running out quickly so book now. There are hot pools also so bring your Togs. 

On Saturday we all intend to meet at the Prawn Park in Taupo at 10am where we will have a tour and go prawn fishing for our lunch 

Then the National Trout Centre just south of Turangi at 1pm for a tour of hatchery with Doc rangers. 

On Sunday we will head to the swamp and attempt to catch some mollies. Bring along some old clothes as you will get muddy, You will also need old shoes, net, bucket, chilly bin with portable air pump and plenty of enthusiasm.

For more info go to our Facebook page "Events" section or contact our Club President Dave Dalziel on 021 146 5215.

molly3.jpg

molly2.jpg

molly1.jpg

molly3.thumb.jpg.e6a8e781c810c22a7def21f

molly2.thumb.jpg.feb38d36c97f43cc228fa7b

molly1.thumb.jpg.1a6258892b6fec93fc0abd6

Hi there,

is it okay to come along if you are not in any club?

If so, where would be a good place to meet you guys on Sunday morning?

Cheers,

JaSa

Can't say with authority since I don't know that club and its members, but all clubs and club events I've gone to the general consensus is the more the better.

I would agree with Ira - the more the merrier. Dave's cell phone number is listed above so message him but as most are staying at the Oasis Motel I would suggest it to be a good starting place (just be there early enough before they have left!).

The swamp is on the main road so if you just drive along until you see a row of cars and muddy people wading through hot pools I am sure you will be in the right place :grouphug:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Silverdollarboy2 said:

Many times, I have registered them. No one wanted the fry so they went to a friend with a turtle.

Let me know when you have some more and I will take them. Happy to pay, would prefer them 1cm long and when it is a bit warmer + safe to send them.

Cheers,
JaSa