Silver Dollar Care Sheet

Silverdollarboy2

Silver Dollar (Metynnis Argenteus / Hypsauchen)

The Silver Dollar is a large South American characin that is often overlooked by many aquarists.

Size:

At pet shops they are usually around the size of a two dollar coin. It is common for them to get to 10-15 cm but they max out at 20+ cm.

Feeding:

For smaller specimen’s vegetable flakes, small vegetable pellets and algae based tablets are all options. For larger specimens I recommend vegetable pellets, algae based tablets, blanched leafy greens and peas with their shells removed. Silver dollars are herbivorous, so their diet shouldn’t consist of too many meaty foods.

Tank Size:

I recommend 120 x 60 x 60 cm as a minimum for a group of five adults. The bigger, the better.

Water Chemistry:

Silver dollars prefer soft water and a P.H of under 7.5. However I have found once established they are not too fussy. The temperature should be between 24 and 28 °c.

Tank Mates:

Silver dollars are compatible with most fish provided three things: The fish share the same water requirements, the fish is not overly aggressive and the fish is not too small to be “inhaled” by the Silver Dollar. The Silver Dollar is a schooling fish.

Sexing the Silver Dollar:

The male’s anal fin is pointed and redder than the females. The female’s anal fin is more rounded and less colourful.

The Silver Dollar is a beautiful fish that can become a show-stopper when mature

Females

imagejpg1_zps68f8524b.jpg

Male

sd3_zpsece57fec.jpg

Let me know if I need to add anything. :)

Cheers