Emersed Plants - Glass Tanks Outside?

alexyay

Okay, I should really get around to setting up the spare tanks that are sitting outside and turning them into a planted setup. However - all of the ones I've seen so far have been done in containers inside. The plan is:

55L tank, gladwrap covering it (to keep it humid?), in diffused sunlight.

- Do you prefer to keep your emersed plants in pots or all together like a terrarium?

- On hand I have Dalton's Aquatic Mix and lots of black sand. What are your preferred substrates?

- Suggestions for converting plants from submerged to emersed growth?

To convert the plants i like to keep the roots submerged, and very high humidity (90-100%) air. But it is also necessary to have aeration, other wise you will get fungus and mould growing.

You can use glad wrap but just leave a little hole at one of the corners. I have a heater in mine other wise it gets to cold and also an air pump with two air stones to keep it nice and humid.

Daltons will work fine, you can cap it with sand to make it look nice and to make it easier to plant plants with small root systems. I prefer pots because i can take them out and move them around. Also if you have crypts and you id one you can keep any pups in that pot and it wont go and mix with another plants.

Hmm, I might go for pots in one and a prettier "terrarium" type setup. That Hydrocotyle is going nuts - the Lilaeopsis is starting to grow too :) (the Acorus is sad... I think I'm no good at keeping that sp). Temp is definitely a factor... I might have to go more coldwater/native type plants rather than tropicals.