Repashy Food

jamosfish

Which fish one has that? can't find it.

Product Information page "Why Choose Repashy"  They refer to all their carnivore based food range with this info.  

Its the reason I use it, natives are mainly insect eaters and Grub Pie is 75% insect based compared to other processed foods that get their protein from sources like salt water fish waste. Prefer to feed my fish something as close to their natural diet as I can without the hassle of growing / collecting live food.

Bottom scratcher and meat pie.

Bottom scratcher also contains New Zealand green lipped mussels 

First five ingredients of the bottom scratcher Krill Meal, Insect Meal, Mussel Meal,  Squid Meal, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Dried Seaweed Meal. Wheres the whole krill, whole insect etc? I've always been told to stay away from foods that have meal after the first five or so ingredients and not whole. Is this wrong? I'm not bagging this food just wondering why everyone is raving about it and paying a premium price for something that doesn't have premium ingredients in it.   

Bottom scratcher and meat pie.

Bottom scratcher also contains New Zealand green lipped mussels 

First five ingredients of the bottom scratcher Krill Meal, Insect Meal, Mussel Meal,  Squid Meal, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Dried Seaweed Meal. Wheres the whole krill, whole insect etc? I've always been told to stay away from foods that have meal after the first five or so ingredients and not whole. Is this wrong? I'm not bagging this food just wondering why everyone is raving about it and paying a premium price for something that doesn't have premium ingredients in it.   

First five ingredients of the bottom scratcher Krill Meal, Insect Meal, Mussel Meal,  Squid Meal, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Dried Seaweed Meal. Wheres the whole krill, whole insect etc? I've always been told to stay away from foods that have meal after the first five or so ingredients and not whole. Is this wrong? I'm not bagging this food just wondering why everyone is raving about it and paying a premium price for something that doesn't have premium ingredients in it.   

traditionally you are correct in regard to the interpretation of the word "meal", and historically the word "meal" was an easy way to say "all the crap bits that are industry biproducts". 

The "new" laws regarding label ingredients appear to try and balance the needs of the consumer with the desires of the regulatory authorities.

Repashy is a premium product, and the company states that it only uses whole animal ingredients, but it is a meal by the time it is in the product, so it is a tricky balance that needs to be achieved.  I am not sure if the amount of space on the label, and the requirement to list all of the other ingredients also played a part in the dropping of the word "whole", or whether it is because the products have been around for 20 years and consumers in other markets already understand that Repashy only use whole ingredients, so the word was removed from the label.

additionally if you compare the finished product, which is 3-4 times the volume of the package that is purchased, and the length of time it lasts, then it is in fact similarly priced to a lot of the other products on the market.

For disclosure purposes: I am the NZ importer and distributor for Repashy products.

Cheers