how do you collect your water for water changers?

Crooky

Hi ya :wave:

I'm just wondering how you guys and gals with large tanks collect or treat enough water for your water changes?

In my old tank it was fine being only 100ltr and tropical I found it easy useing a 20ltr bucket.

I now have a 270ltr tank with natives so I need more water to change and I have heard that the crays don't like the chlorine treatments. I find it hard to collect 60ltr of rain water so what do you do

I don't think there is a huge load on the tank as I only have two crays and 3 bullies with live plants.

any advice would be great thanks

You could just get a 60L or so plastic bin, and sit the water aside for 24 hours or so. I don't the exact time it would take, but I've heard people do that to let the chlorine evaporate, so they don't have to conditioners.

I haven't checked it myself in a while, so I would suggest doing a bit of googling on it.

Chlorine is a very strong oxidizing agent and reacts with all sorts of things. This is why monochloramine is added to water supplies in some parts of the US instead of chlorine. It is not as good a disinfectant but does not form as many nasties on the side. Our water may not be pristine at source but generally lacks the nasty chemicals from industrial polution found in many other countries that will react with chlorine to form even worse chemicals. All water other than laboratory distilled water contains chemicals that form the "chlorine demand" of the water. This is the stuff that reacts and forms mono then di then trichloramine before you actually get any "free available chlorine". When you stand water or aerate it you will drive the chlorine of and the equilibrium moves back all the way to monochloramine and this is what people smell when they think they are smelling chlorine. When a swimming pool smells like that people think that too much chlorine has been added but atually the way to fix it is to add more chlorine and drive the equilibrium up to trichloramine. The only way to get rid of the various chloramines is to add sodium thiosulphate which then produces minute quantities of colloidal sulphur,sodium sulphate and hydrochloric acid all of which are less toxic than chlorine or chloramines.

I just turn the tap on and let the automatic overflow take care of the water level. The only issue I had was when I left the tap on too long and lost sone smelt. If you do want to de-chlorinate then I didn't have any issue with killing shrimp or koura when I did use it.

Hi ya :wave:

I'm just wondering how you guys and gals with large tanks collect or treat enough water for your water changes?

In my old tank it was fine being only 100ltr and tropical I found it easy useing a 20ltr bucket.

I now have a 270ltr tank with natives so I need more water to change and I have heard that the crays don't like the chlorine treatments. I find it hard to collect 60ltr of rain water so what do you do

I don't think there is a huge load on the tank as I only have two crays and 3 bullies with live plants.

any advice would be great thanks

I have this really fancy water producing device in my kitchen called a tap.

My house is supplied by rainwater, so I just match the temps.