Lighting a 60L Freshwater Tropical.

TmanNZ

I need a cheap and easy option (preferably under $30) to light a low tech planted tank.

Plants are:

Java Moss

Java Fern

Dwarf Hairgrass

Hygrophilas

I was thinking some sort of desk lamp, but personally, I have no idea on lighting whatsoever so every suggestion is welcome!

I have never had a planted tank before.

Diy Leds have never failed me.

Aliexpress is the best place for the leds though i have enough spare i can mail you some.

if you get the 1w leds just glue them too any scrape pieces of metal that look good enough and your good to go.

old baking trays/cake tins from secound hand shops work well. just sand off the non stick stuff.

and while your there get a cheap power pack. though aliexpress some time comes in cheaper depending on what your looking for

for glue i have proper thermal glue i spend $5 on from deal extreame.

that being said CFLs in desk lamps work in a pinch

DIY LEDs sound good could you show me some pics of what you've created for a bit of inspiration :bggrn: . What do mean by power pack? Something like this -http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/retail-hospitality/signage/led/auction-892190339.htm?

Also will you be willing to mail LEDs free of charge :hail: ? I am only 14 Years Old, so I am relying on a parents budget as well as any old change I can find in the back of the couch. Haha.

Thanks a lot! :bounce:

Most of those plants will do fine under just any old clip on lamp. Have a look in the Warehouse or Kmart, I got one there for round $20 and a friend found one (that probably does the job better lol) for $10 at the Warehouse. Pretty sure dwarf hairgrass can be picky though, but dwarf sag is a reasonable substitute for it :)

that type of thing will do well but thats quite a bit over prices.

What size (length /width)is your tank i may be generous enough to put something together for $30 from spares i have around.

i can also paint it any colour so long as its black.

ill take some photos of the previous ones and put them up. i think i have another thread with photos already though

The lamp I got was bayonet, so I suggest picking the lamp you want first, getting it to see what style connection it has, and then try find your bulb to fit it.

This is the bulb I'm getting for my marine tank, but I need to buy an adaptor as the bulb is screw in, while the lamp is bayonet.