looking for breeder of GREEN CHEEKED CONURES

BikBok

Thought I woudl ask on here as fishkeepers often keep reptiles and birds as well!

Looking for a breeder of green cheeked conures as I'm not having much luck locating one.. are there any breeders even left in NZ of this South American Parrot?

It is entirely possible there are no green cheeked Conures available in NZ.

It makes me smile just a little when I see folks on this forum complaining about limitations on imports of fish - at least there are some (well, quite a few actually) being imported.

Importing birds? Forget it!!!! Theoretically it may be possible with enough money and persistence, but there is a whole community of bird breeders in NZ who have been trying to import exhibition standard budgies and canaries, and others wanting parrots and finches to top up the existing breeding pool; but so far as I am aware there have been no aviary/show birds allowed into NZ since the mid-1990's, in spite of continuing attempts.

Even the zoos have major problems bringing in exotic birds for conservation breeding programmes, some have lost a great deal of money on arrangements only to have 'you-know-who' foil their attempts by changing the import parameters at the last minute . Fish & Bird, DoC, and the commercial poultry/egg establishment are all dead-set against it and they have far more 'weight' behind them than any hobbyists.

So as a consequence, the parrot stocks in NZ are becoming more and more badly inbred year by year, and species are gradually disappearing. Also, many NZ'ers are unwilling to pay the price for a rarer bird, so many young birds were/are actually exported, compounding the problem.

Having said that, try contacting someone on this site and see if they can give you a contact - http://www.parrot.co.nz/

Good luck