New Royals

calculator

Very nice! What part of the country are you in? Let me know if you ever change your mind on them, I was pretty tempted when Cam offered them but couldn't make it happen at the time. Is the one on the red ruler the biggest? He's a beast, but....

mine's bigger! :ton: :slfg:

Someone should gather all these beasts and try and breed them as documented in a recent edition of "Amazonas Magazine".

I just bought myself a little wee royal yesterday.. around 5-6cm. Wasn't planning on getting a Royal but arghh just too cute.. I couldn't resist!

Looking forward to following his growth for the next 20+years haha.

I'm trying Thomas! I'd have liked to have added these to the mix, but getting them from Nelson to Whangarei was going to be a mission, and funds are limited at the moment. My four are still steadily [slowly] growing, with one of each type now being noticeably larger than the other. I should probably start looking for a large hollow log to try entice them...

Very nice! What part of the country are you in? Let me know if you ever change your mind on them, I was pretty tempted when Cam offered them but couldn't make it happen at the time. Is the one on the red ruler the biggest? He's a beast, but....

Haha, I am in auckland. I will, but at the moment I can't see that happening any time soon.

and yea that one is the biggest, slightly over 25cm TL.

Someone should gather all these beasts and try and breed them as documented in a recent edition of "Amazonas Magazine".

I just bought myself a little wee royal yesterday.. around 5-6cm. Wasn't planning on getting a Royal but arghh just too cute.. I couldn't resist!

Looking forward to following his growth for the next 20+years haha.

I have another 3 that I bought not long ago growing out, but If I can get my hands on a few other large ones I will be tempted to sell my other fish and try to.

How big are the other three? TBH I wouldn't rush out and sell your other fish, at least until you've got a pair of royals in a cave together!

I just noticed my largest doing that high-frequency "shivering" thing at one of the others,not sure if that's an encouraging sign now he's pushing 30cm, or if it was just the 50kg of cold sand I dumped in to top up the substrate...

:lol:

Two at about 6cm, and one at about 4 cm, so a lot smaller.

I am not going to rush into anything, but I do have several people at the moment encouraging me to sell off my cichlids, and turn my tank into a higher flow, tannin stained, lots of drift wood, pleco comm.

And it is a very tempting thought.

11081353_820898591338334_897975574892316706_n.jpg?oh=334c3551f87684dd4e0177fbd6844533&oe=55BF006B

11081223_820898624671664_3042067882156213498_n.jpg?oh=87e474aad7e97d854f88cf2249f5b7d5&oe=55D354D2

10011467_786310154797178_3373505273316807197_n.jpg?oh=5e5f22644603805c22871c82d632ed1a&oe=55C6EDC5&__gda__=1439701915_a0e4360b6b2ab929840f8737d3953fce

Those three smaller ones look like L191 where as your bigger ones are L190, so if you're serious about a breeding project you should probably either get a few smaller L191, or look or for more L190 of a similar size.

TBH, they certainly won't mind higher flow, though mine seem to be doing ok without it, but I wouldn't worry too much about the tannins. Most of the habitat footage I've seen of P. nigrolineatus (such as this video from Mikolji; https://youtu.be/B3cg9tGiFPA) has been in clear water. In my view, the biggest factors in growing these fish large are tank space and food. A big tank with plenty of wood to chew on, and regular feedings of other foods (both prepared and vege) has worked for me. While your cichlids (and datnoid and bichir) aren't incompatible they do offer competition for pellet foods, and the diet of the carnivorous species is going to potentially clash, unless you can get them hooked on something like NLS Mega Fish Formula (which is about as good an omnivorous food as there is) and make sure there are no prawns or other meaty foods lying around for the royals to get. Feeders would work too, if you want to offer them something the panaques won't touch. With the stock in my tank I'm able to feed a large amount of smaller food (NLS Thera A, Cichlid Formula and flake) which the plecs will often come out and graze on, as well as putting in a good amount of pellets/eafers late at night knowing they're not going to be snapped up by a greedy CA cichlid.

Your current stock can work with the plecs, but there are other options not quite as drastic as a species-only tank that would help optimise the tank for growing panaques.