Heat Pump

I am planning to have a heat pump system installed in my new house - something like a 8kW unit for the large, open plan, downstairs living/dining kitchen area, and a separated ceiling unit with ducts to all upstairs rooms. Is anybody familiar with this technology and can pass on some advice - brands, energy efficiency, what to look out for, anything to avoid? Many thank. Frank

First we recommend to get a free quote for install and then they recommend a size of heat pump for the size area the company we use for this is called design air and there based in east tamaki not sure where u are in Auckland but they do most of Auckland. Or I have heard Hrv also install them. These people can also advise on the ones upstairs. Mitsubihi is quiet. Panasonic are very good or Fujusu is other one

Thanks for the input. The thing is, I had about 6 people through by now, and they all recommend something else. But then all of these heat pumps seem to be pretty similar. Maybe I am over-thinking this, and should just pick one and be done with it. :dunno:

Maybe I am over-thinking this, and should just pick one and be done with it. :dunno:

Perhaps you are and yes you should :wink:

Bang for buck heatpumps are the obvious choice by far when retrofitting a new heating system into an existing New Zealand house.

We have a Panasonic 6.3kw I think and it is great.. But I think if I am ever having one installed again I would choose Mitsubishi since they are supposed to be the most quiet.

I wouldn't go with a funny brand I had never heard of. Would stick to Mitsubishi, Panasonic or Fujitsu.

Pick one and keep your fingers crossed 8)

Our Fujitsu is so quiet we can't hear it.

The Carrier is dreadful and very noisy (and unfortunately in our bedroom).

Can't comment on ducting as ours are not ducted but we hope to do something similar from our lounge with a pellet fire that heats open plan lounge, dining room and kitchen.

• 2 weeks later...

HRV do Toshiba, but the particular one I was recommended was not well rated by consumer and didn't come with a 24 hr timer so I crossed it off my list. , other models of Toshiba fared better. HRV installation costs seemed dear to me also.

Consumer ratings varied between various models of different brands but Daikin seemed to come out on tops followed by Mitsibushi, some Fujitsu and some Toshiba.

I would get a few quotes and then look at the consumer ratings for your models of interest.. noise levels , output, and timers are things to consider.

We have had two Toshibas, and had no probs with either.

One word of advise is don't cheap out and get a less powerful unit just because it cost's less. Once you have found out what size heatpump you need (according to house size etc etc), get the next one up again. Might be more expensive but being gruntier means it doesn't have to work as hard to get up to temp and doesn't have to work as hard to maintain that temp.

Thanks for all the input. I have ordered a Fujitsu system. From my research, Daikin seems to be the Rolls Royce of heat pumps, but they come with a price tag to match - about double of comparable Mitsubishi systems, which are next in line, and still considerable more expensive than Panasonic. I was leaning towards Panasonic, since the brands all seem to be fairly good, but the unit I had been quoted did not rate well on consumer - noisy and below average energy efficient. The Fujitsu I have ordered lies between Panasonic and Mitsubishi in price, and rates very well on consumer.

What I am getting is a 8kW wall unit for a very large open space living/dining/kitchen area downstairs, and a separate 8kW unit for upstairs with ducts going to vents in 3 bathrooms, an office, and 2 bathrooms. Total cost is just over $10k, so this is a big spend. But with the initial investment made, I am hoping that I can have it nice and warm in winter as well as pleasant in summer without worrying much about the running costs. I also reckon my house in Auckland will appreciate the investment if ever I should have to sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

nice to see you went Fujitsu is it a high wall or floor console? if its the ABTG24LVT make sure they set it for floor mode as they come set for ceiling mounted from factory? what ducted unit did you go with? and i hope if the duct runs are over 3mtrs long they use a metal duct and not flexi so it works the best. if you want any info on the units your getting just pm me :thup: