white worm culture

binu

recently I started a white worm culture , was goin bit slow with bread but got them multiplying with cat biscuits lol

my problem is tiny flies !! the box is fully covered n sealed and it have an air holes which is also covered with net , some how few got inside and started breedin as well !! so wen ever I open it a tone load of flies comes out :facepalm: :an!gry

any idea how to get rid of them ? also as seen on video in youtube n all I put a piece of Perspex so that they can come under but in my case those stupid worms r every were mixed in the poting mix which make harder for harvestin :hail:

can some one point out wat im doin wrong :tears: :tears:

thanks in advance :kiss:

I used potting mix from the nursery where the food value had been used up and the plants repotted. That way, the worms do not stay in the mix and feed on it. Also I fed on luncheon sausage under glass and never had a problem with flies. You can then remove the worms from the glass.

could always start a new culture with a few of the whiteworms and maybe keep it inside somewhere cool or somewhere flies can't get to it, or use a finer mesh. another option is to put a finer mesh on the current culture and remove the flies every day or so until none are left

• 2 months later...

This may be a bit late, but...

The Warehouse has half-price Sistema 'Klip' lunchbox-type containers at the moment. Depending on the size of your current whiteworm culture container you should be able to fit one in a 2L or 3L box. At $4 (after the half-price) the 3L ones would be my choice since they hold a fair amount of air in them, which gets refreshed each time you open the box to feed the worms.

Another aside here (I just have to ask): I used to have a grindal worm culture about 5 years back, but lost it and the person who it came from lost theirs as well. Does anyone have spare grinal worms they can post me?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

binoy mines in a big poly box, with top soil and i feed white bread / flake food. i put a peice of glass on top of the bread and they all kinda bunch together near the bread, also keep it moist with a spray bottle.

i also have the little flies but i dont care about them as the more food the merrier hahahaha