ANTS

camtang

I have like a billion ants in my fish room, I am currently using Raid ant bait. It works well for a few days and then it seems like they stop eating it/ move the nest.

Is there anything stronger that will hammer them good, or any ideas on how to keep them at bay in a fish room? Or even cultivating them for live food (this may be dicing with death but hey, free live food is still free live food)

I found the Raid stuff to to rubbish. there is some other stuff in a yellow box that is in liquid form and you pour it into a bait station. Works on the same method as the raid ones but much much better.

Forgot the name though sorry. Got it from mitre 10, yellow box, think it has the word ants on the front with the red cross through it. But my memory is fuzzy.

Edit:

Close enough :)

NO-Ants-Bait-Stations.jpg

I've got thousands of them too - all over the eaves and windows at one end of the house (mostly remain outside fortunately) and again around my office window (not so good at staying outside).

The caretaker here gave us three types of deterrent which hubby left in his office. I'll get them tomorrow and let you know what they are called.

The ants here are rather larger than any I have ever seen before.

We ended up getting a professional in to spray around the house as the ant poison just seemed to be feeding the ants...

It turns out that the ants were nesting under the house in between the fibreboards and the black insulation paper.

There were literally handfulls of dead ants that had fallen to the ground from here.

The professional did say that we would never have got rid of them with the poison.

I suppose it depends on how big the infestation is.

Most insect killers are EXTREMELY toxic to fish and other aquatic creatures.

Have a friend that got his entire tank wiped out because the wife (unknowingly) put one of those automatic fly spray thingys in the same room as the fish tank. And the tank had an air stone in it, that didn't help.

Interestingly enough, I used some bait in my room the other week and I had heaps of ant boats in my tanks. most still alive. Reminded me of what you hear about in the concentration camps with the strongest ant being at the top not drowning. Anyway, I assumed it was because the poison drys them out and makes them seek out water. My fish were snacking away on them and thus far, no issues with the fish. So I wondered if because they were always in the water if it somehow nullified it to a degree.