Stand strong enough?

Adrienne

Looking for thoughts on the following:

Steel framed science laboratory bench - sits on 6 legs

2.6 metre long x 65cm wide x 65 high tank - would 12mm be enough if it was braced or would it need to be 15mm?

Do you think the bench would be strong enough to support the tank weight when full? It will be a planted tank.

Shouldn't have been lazy as I knew a pic would be needed. I don't think it's strong enough - here is the bench which they wish to use

tanks_2b%20copy_zpshf7wn8tg.jpg

tanks_2%20copy_zpsfoghlnof.jpg

I have calculated that a tank that size will weigh between 1200 - 1300kg with equipment and scape in it.

Thanks for the feedback. I will email the person concerned..

It's not just the cabinet that concerns me, it is also placement in a room with, I expect, windows on three walls. I was initially looking at all in one units, albeit big ones, with sumps if necessary and am still thinking that, but preferably against a wall.

After talking to Warren about the strength required for the steel stand for my tank, I'd say you're dicing with death putting any decent sized fish tank on that stand. Glass doesn't flex, at all, so the steel supporting the base of the tank needs to be completely level and rigid. The longer the span the heavier the steel needs to be. For my 700mm high tank I have 100x50x3mm over the front 540mm spans and 100x50x5mm over the 1100mm front to back spans. Plus the diagonal gussets in the corners and low height.

12mm glass gives a safety factor of ~2.8 for that size tank, which I would be happy with if it was on a well made stand.