Fish swimming weirdly

stillnzcookie

Hi, one of our Harlequin Rasboras has started swimming weirdly, and I don't know what's wrong with it or what I should do. It started by swimming in an odd way - sort of wiggling its whole body - and got very hyperactive. Now it swims on its side..or upside down...or head up...or tail up...any way but the right way up. It is still very active and doing its wiggly swimming action, and I can't see anything visibly wrong with it - no marks or lumps or anything like that. It is about five years old.

All the other fish seem fine, and all our water parameters are normal, except for pH, which has gone from 6.6 up to 7, over the last couple of months. Any ideas as to what might be wrong, and what I should do? Thanks

Without seeing a pic of the fish I am firstly going to suggest that this is old age. A lot of people would give a lot to have a rasbora of that age still alive in their tank :)

Could be a stroke, could be a swim bladder issue but swim bladder generally means the fish floats upside down all the time, or head up all the time.

There is possibly nothing you can do to help it get better but try a shelled pea (that is effective on swim bladder). Get a frozen pea and peel the skin off it, break it into small pieces and feed it to your fish.

While your pH has gone up, that rise over a couple of months is not overly significant and the fish should be happy enough at 7. Swinging pH is what causes a lot of problems.

Thanks, Adrienne. Yes, our tank has been running for seven years, so we have quite a lot of fish that are about 5-6 years old, and I have thought a couple of other random deaths were probably due to old age. It's hard to find information about how long fish usually live for. Our only other Harlequin that is still alive is about 6 1/2 - it was one of the first fish we got! I'll try feeding a shelled pea and see if it helps at all.

• 1 year later...