Colours of cray

Benjansss

How rare are the blue ones

How long is a piece of string?

Depends on the population, different populations will produce more of one color than another depending on which survive to breed. Occasionally you will see very blue (usually pale) individuals but they are very uncommon due to not being very well camouflaged and getting eaten before reaching maturity.

How rare are the blue ones

The blue ones are found in deeper parts of lakes generally - this is because blue light penetrates deeper in the lake so they camouflage better.

They're reasonably rare and it would not be wise to take one from the wild, they also will return to their normal colour when brought up to a normal depth.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that mine has changed colouration a few times... when he moults. Sometimes it is the same colour, but there has been a few times where he as altered quite markedly, perhaps altering his camo to suit the tank and when you change things, he changes :)

Coolest change he made was to quite a vivid speckled green, this happened after I threw some green fern fronds into the tank for a change.