Blue Acara v Jack Dampsey

camtang

If less than 2 inches (5cm), it is definitely hard to distinguish them.

However the orange colouration on the dorsal fin points to the Aequidens family, which includes the Blue Acara and Green Terror/Gold Saum (though GT are now Andinoacara rivulatus).

JDs have darker colouration and markings on the body are more consistent/spread-out and pronounced. Also, the dorsal fins on JDs are usually red (edge).

Blue acaras/GTs usually have one or two dark/black spots on the body. Adult GTs definitely have brighter orange dorsal fins and males usually have nunchal humps.

JDs are more aggressive than acaras whilst GTs, as the name suggests, are the most aggressive of the three (based on personal experience).

Can you post any photos? Cheers.

They look completely different as babies. It's all in the face.

Given that a lot of people still getting confused, asking questions and mistaking one for the other, I believe having more than one way of identification provides more certainty. So excuse me if I continue to identify fishes besides their faces.

ID is easy. like P44 says it's all in the face.

this is an Acara

m3HNejr.jpg

This looks more like A.rivulatus (GT) rather than a Blue Acara due to the orange color on the dorsal, caudal and anal fins.

the fish in the centre of the first pic you posted is a jack dempsey imho

Based on the face and body markings, red colouration on the dorsal fins, I agree it is a JD.

I used to have a big jack Dempsey and that's looks like just like it exspet a lot smaller

I have a large one that looks similar as well, but 3 weeks ago when it was fully unclear it looked nothing like it.

Post subject: Re: Blue Acara v Jack Dampsey Reply with quote

camtang wrote:

We have two votes for JD, anyone else one to chime in?

I vote JD too

That is enough for me to go with JD as a positive ID.

Thank you all. Now to look for some dam acaras again.