Leopard Gecko Breeding

reptilez

Can i keep my male and two female leopard geckos together all year round or is it best to keep the male separated until breeding season? What would you say the breeding season is in New Zealand? Last question, do you brumate your leopard geckos?

Thanks, Matthew :bggrn:

I don't breed females until they are 50 grams. Males and females come out of brumation pumped up with hormones and ready to breed.

Sweet thanks. How long do you bromate for? I read online that it can range from 4-8 weeks. Is it best to start in the coldest point during winter?

3-4 months. You need to make sure they have digested their food and don't have a belly full that will rot in their guts when the temperature drops. Don't feed for three days and then bromate when you can get the temperature down to about 12 degrees C. Not easy in the summer.

Awesome, Thanks heaps. Will keep my male separate from my females to keep the females stress free.

I kept all separate, even females. Even when breeding as found it keeps the male keen and stress to a minimum for all.

Only takes a few minutes to mate and if ready they generally do it straight away. The couple of pairings that didn't mate straight off (after many attempts at quick intros and no luck) I would leave them together for upto a week and that seemed to be more than enough.

Brumate in winter as Alan said hard to do so in summer. Would not feed for atleast a week prior.

I only feed twice a week, sometimes went days without food, and biggest one I hatched is 27g at 4months old so grow pretty fast with out much effort.

Only had them a short time like one winter - so far from an expert - but um must of been a good 2-3months if not more.

Depending on how cold it is where they are being kept then may still require a little heat. Alan mentioned down to 12C. Sounds about right but I have lost my book from Ron Tremper (signed copy :facepalm: ). Think I just turned all heat off over that time. The geckos looked just as good at the end of brumation as they did prior. If start looking sick and or losing condition best to put the heat back on.

When does winter start lol? about a month after that. haha you'l work it out. :lol:

Only had them a short time like one winter - so far from an expert - but um must of been a good 2-3months if not more.

Depending on how cold it is where they are being kept then may still require a little heat. Alan mentioned down to 12C. Sounds about right but I have lost my book from Ron Tremper (signed copy :facepalm: ). Think I just turned all heat off over that time. The geckos looked just as good at the end of brumation as they did prior. If start looking sick and or losing condition best to put the heat back on.

When does winter start lol? about a month after that. haha you'l work it out. :lol:

Haha thanks, I am probably overthinking all of this to be honest. Just want to do as much research as i can the first time round so i get it right.

Haha thanks, I am probably overthinking all of this to be honest. Just want to do as much research as i can the first time round so i get it right.
Yeah na easy to do and not all bad. Can never stop researching and or learning, even when you think you have it sussed there is always always something that can be improved.

Keep moist hide moist at all times to avoid shedding issues. Put hole in top if feed crickets. Creates a refuge for the gecko :wink: not that they really need it.