Loking after your pets in a natural disaster.

livingart

[attachment=0]PYP Press relese Draft 2.pdf[/attachment]Good morning/afternoon

As discussed at last year’s NZCAC meeting, World Animal Protection has developed a free online disaster preparedness resource for New Zealand pet owners: protectyourpet.org.nz.

On this website there are free downloadable Disaster Planning Packs providing simple and practical advice to plan for dogs, cats, small animals (rats, mice and guinea pigs), rabbits, fish, birds, horses and Assistance/Guide Dogs.

World Animal Protection is calling on the help of everyone involved in animal welfare around the country to make New Zealand pet owners ‘disaster prepared’ by directing them to this informative website. To assist with this, we have developed fridge magnets which are available free of charge from info@worldanimalprotection.org.nz.

Please also help spread the word by adding articles to your organisation’s newsletters and/or Facebook pages. To help with this, please find attached the draft media release and some possible Facebook posts (you will need to add the link to the site – http://www.protectyourpet.org.nz)

The free online resource, has been developed by World Animal Protection in conjunction with the New Zealand Companion Animal Council, Ministry for Civil Defence & Emergency Management , Ministry for Primary Industries, Royal New Zealand Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, New Zealand Veterinary Association and other agencies in the National Animal Welfare Emergency Management Advisory Group.

Jenny-May Coffin, former Silver Fern and World Animal Protection supporter, has also lent her support creating a disaster plan with her family, for their dog ‘Jay’’ - to show Kiwis just how easy it is to put a plan on paper. Jenny-May Coffin’s disaster plan is available on the website.

If you have any queries about any of the information on the site or how you can get involved, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Warm regards

Bridget Vercoe

Country Director

World Animal Protection

Level 1, 18 Heather Street, Parnell, Auckland 1151

T: +64 9 309 3901 or 021 448 949

E: bridgetvercoe@worldanimalprotection.org.nz

Our new name is World Animal Protection. We were known as WSPA (World Society for the Protection of Animals)

• 1 month later...

I live in rockhampton qld in aus and we got hit head on by a cat5 cyclone named Marsha. Wish I had read some stuff like this b4 hand. We all think yea that will never happen to me. I was 1 of them people. We had power cut 4 6days and I had a shed full on tanks!! Was a wild 6days that's 4sure. So I def believe people should take the time to read and be ready for this kind of thing. Still just getting everything sorted from the cyclone. Please everybody be ready for a worst case kind of event!