Whiptail catfish

Jason1989

Hey guys what types of whiptails are there available in nz? I no there are royals twigs panda common and reds but are there anymore? Years ago I had some that I was told were blacks they looked like a royal but as the name says were black.. And from the same seller I also got some whites. These looked more like commons but once again as the name states were white. The fish were on trade me and from up north I believe. I haven't seen them again since. Anyone no who it was selling these?

Three of mine (temporarily holding them in that tank), unfortunately I only have a male of the "black" (unsure of exact species, there was a thread on it on here but it turned out to be an argument and don't think it actually got answered :dunno:) so will be looking for a female. Hoping to spawn the commons over the next couple of months (which are a breeding group that I recently acquired).

Also unsure of whether the red is a "hybrid" or a true. Was one of Jennifer's fry.

10927190_10204764001893148_2843197444940059761_o.jpg

Also currently own a couple of royals (one male, another still growing out). And a farlowella if that counts.

Never seen the whites in person but the guy I got the commons & black from said he had one at one stage.

Beautiful fish!! I'm breeding red lizards at the mo. 2m 4f in PVC but having a huge issue with to many females trying to breed with the 1 male so eggs get eaten :( commons breed hard. I feed the fry that decap brine and hate huge success doing that. Would love to c some1 Breed the blacks again. I found what I believe they are when looking at some German sights in the weekend they call them rineloricaria lanceolata 'black' also have red..

There are a couple of different colour morphs on the L010a

I bred the lancelotas (real lancelota) not what phil was selling as blacks or whatever, but the fry were almost impossible to keep alive.

I also had all the varieties he sold and a couple of others.

The 'whites' came in from brooklands IIRC and were different to what were being sold by Phil.

Have a search through my posts for pics on what were available at the time. That might help you out a bit.

The lancelota is by far my favourite whiptail.

Iv worked out an awesome way of keeping my whiptail fry alive. Close to a 90% grow out rate so im very happy with that. I move back to nz in sept this year so will be on the hunt for some nice whiptail when I get back :) oh and pleco of corse!! You guys are very lucky with some of the fish you are able to keep! And the price u pay is very good. Would love to see some more photos of every1s pleco and whiptail so feel free to pop up a photo or 2 guys :)

I have several of Jens red whiptails - at least 1 of each sex, fully mature, in my community tank. The parents were both red whips, imported, so I am sure they are not hybrids.

Good to know :thup: Unfortunately I wasn't successful on my first attempt raising the fry - still setting up my breeder tank in order to try again (know what I need to do differently this time, though still not 100% sure on what to feed as that's still a bit of an experiment)

I had a lot of die offs in the start as the fish done seem to move a lot to feed. So I got a 2nd tank 2ft long by 25cmx25cm put it outside and filled it with water and wood. I changed that water once a week. After about a month I had a new bunch of eggs in a pvc pipe. At the day of hatched I took the little tank inside filled it with water from the main tank put in 2 airlines and dropped the eggs in. 100% of the fry lived. So bin doing this ever since and seems to work a treat. I now has 3 of these little tanks rotating them round to get the green stuf growing in them. Hope this can be in some way helpful :)

I had a lot of die offs in the start as the fish done seem to move a lot to feed. So I got a 2nd tank 2ft long by 25cmx25cm put it outside and filled it with water and wood. I changed that water once a week. After about a month I had a new bunch of eggs in a pvc pipe. At the day of hatched I took the little tank inside filled it with water from the main tank put in 2 airlines and dropped the eggs in. 100% of the fry lived. So bin doing this ever since and seems to work a treat. I now has 3 of these little tanks rotating them round to get the green stuf growing in them. Hope this can be in some way helpful :)

Great tip! Thanks for sharing :gpo2:

So basically using infusoria? I'll definitely have to try that! Thanks for the tip :)