Java Fern on Driftwood?

KiwiGal77

Hi all,

I would love to eventually have a fully planted tank, but currently haven't got the time or money to set it up properly. For now all my plants are of the silk variety, but I was wondering if it would be possible to get a real java fern growing on my piece of driftwood?

If so, how do I go about it (java fern for dummies) and is there anything I really need to know before I go ahead?

FYI - it's a 45L tropical freshwater tank, good hanging filter, only lighting is daylight and current fish are 2 platys (over the next couple of months will be adding corys and a small schooling fish too)

Cheers :)

Java fern is super easy as a tank plant. It doesn't grow very fast, but it's hardy as. It doesn't need any fertilisers or super bright light either.

Just buy some java fern off trademe, and to attach it to the wood, you can either use something like a rubber band to hold it there (and cut it off when the fern has attached), or cotton thread to tie it on (like brown so you can't see it against the wood).

Personally, I'm lazy and just wedge it between rocks, and it eventually grabs hold of the rock.

You can also use dress maker pins to pin the plants to the wood. Much easier I find but remember to remove the pins after a few weeks once the roots have taken hold and before the pins rust. Use the ones with the plastic colourful heads so easier to find again and safer for your fish.