MPI FEES

reef

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

put that in your submission to lengthen the quarantine. would really be helpful.

Like i said we could debate this forever. fish imported also depend whether they make contact with certain other fish. the ocean is far away from most tanks.

Freshwater callamanus isn't necessarily going to affect worms in the ocean anyway ;) freshwater, unlike the ocean, is more compact.

All I'm saying is that I personally do not have issues with the proposed extended quarantine.

What I was asking was whether MPI plan on having vets with expertise in fish (or whether we don't know). Vet doesn't necessarily mean no expertise in aquatic organisms, so was wondering whether it was based on assumption/experience/etc. A vet could be very beneficial if they have some kind of knowledge on fish, but I agree they are of no use if they don't. My question is whether we know if they have expertise or not.

All I'm saying is that I personally do not have issues with the proposed extended quarantine

There is no proposed extended quarantine.

My question is whether we know if they have expertise or not

They are not. i noted that in other post, i import fish and deal with MPI vets.

There is no proposed extended quarantine.

They are not. i noted that in other post, i import fish and deal with MPI vets.

Ah sorry - I thought your upset about Quarantine was because it had been proposed to change (which was why I was confused as I was surprised it wasn't already that long). So off topic entirely, then?

At this present time, the FNZAS will not be putting forth a submission to MPI on the issue of increasing costs for veterinary inspections during quarantine.

The FNZAS is dedicated to improvement of the fishkeeping hobby and in line with this, we support appropriate veterinary inspections as an important part of ensuring the health and well-being of imported aquatic organisms. In addition, we feel that veterinary inspections are essential to a comprehensive biosecurity assessment which aims at preventing the spread of unwanted pests into New Zealand.

We are aware that only veterinarians can legally issue health certificates, and in employing veterinarians to examine aquatic organisms, the costs will be higher for the end user. However, the costs that MPI proposes for veterinary inspections is less than the going commercial rate for veterinary services so, in our view, we see these as fair costs of production that will in turn be passed on to the consumer.

The FNZAS has a strong relationship with MPI as stakeholders for the hobby. Our interests in protecting the New Zealand environment, and aquatic animal welfare remain strong. However, we do see room for improvement in terms of aquatic expertise of veterinary inspectors and in this regard, we will be submitting a proposal to MPI that aquatic inspectors be adequately trained so as to ensure the best possible out come in minimising welfare issues and biosecurity risks.

The FNZAS Executive Committee

An importer said to me that he would rather deal with an intelligent vet that knows little about fish than an unintelligent person that knows little about anything. It is my hope that their knowledge of fish will improve as I also hope vets generally will get better at dealing with reptiles.