Keep it cool kids, keep it cool.

blueether

Over the very warm weekend I had a catastrophic tank malfunction on the 430L native.

The powerhead that drives the chiller failed at some stage on friday or maybe thursday night. I didn't notice untill saturday afternoon when the room temp was 30 deg and the tank temp was 26.

Losses:

All the giant kokopu

both the torrent fish

and most of the large bullies including the redfin male and the crans males

Over the very warm weekend I had a catastrophic tank malfunction on the 430L native.

The powerhead that drives the chiller failed at some stage on friday or maybe thursday night. I didn't notice untill saturday afternoon when the room temp was 30 deg and the tank temp was 26.

Losses:

All the giant kokopu

both the torrent fish

Far out man, that's really sad - really feeling you at the moment - i'd be devastated if that had happened to me :/

Just got my chiller today so hopefully I can keep it cool

Losses:

All the giant kokopu

both the torrent fish

That's horrible! I'm really sorry for your losses! Those giant kokopu were such awesome fish....

Are you planning on restocking it with natives?

Due to one of my first native critters I have suffered a very destructive ammonia strike.....

I hadn't seen my biggest koura (got them both at 1cm) for about a month, but I saw it while cleaning up the mess I would guess that including pincers it would be upwards of 10cm.

But anyway, I woke up at 9:30 and checked the temp it was at 19.2 degres, so I started changing the ice bottles, then I noticed the bodies.....

So I removed the dead fish and then started shifting the rocks and I found2 medium sized half eaten bullies in the same cave as the big koura, and they looked like they'd been dead for awhile longer than the others..... So I've done a 50% water change and I'm going to do one everyday for the next week (I really should have a test kit)

Body count:

4 mullet

5 bullies (common)

1 young eel

2 bullies (redfin)

Due to one of my first native critters I have suffered a very destructive ammonia strike.....

I hadn't seen my biggest koura (got them both at 1cm) for about a month, but I saw it while cleaning up the mess I would guess that including pincers it would be upwards of 10cm.

But anyway, I woke up at 9:30 and checked the temp it was at 19.2 degres, so I started changing the ice bottles, then I noticed the bodies.....

So I removed the dead fish and then started shifting the rocks and I found2 medium sized half eaten bullies in the same cave as the big koura, and they looked like they'd been dead for awhile longer than the others..... So I've done a 50% water change and I'm going to do one everyday for the next week (I really should have a test kit)

Body count:

4 mullet

5 bullies (common)

1 young eel

2 bullies (redfin)

Far out man :/ I've had similar things happen to me in the past - it's always pretty disheartening :(

Also, don't recommend doing 50% each day - i'd do 50% today, 20% each day for 3 days and you should be sweet

What do you still have?