Shrimp from over seas

Benjansss

Honestly, out of everything, FW inverts IMO are just not going to be allowed full stop. They pose way too much of a risk to our natives. You can pay but you may not get your money back lol.

Edit: It's not necessarily the money that's the big factor, but you need to be able to PROVE that they are of no risk which takes a lot of qualifications and education to be able to do, hence why the average fishkeeper tends to not try to get fish/inverts put on the list.

It is not the government that gets the money, It is the experts that you have to employ to make the case that they will not cause any problems and cannot survive if released. And also the experts they may employ to review your application to see if it should be approved or declined. The person saying yes or no in the end is probably very well qualified and employed on slightly more than the basic wage.

Alex is very right. Why would new freshwater fish/inverts be allowed into NZ when we as fish keepers ignore regulations and do as we please with what is here already.

Rules like not releasing fish into waterways, well I am sure the goldfish at my dog park didn't walk there! I'm sure the catfish etc at the local parks didn't either.

Rules with natives like once caught, not releasing them. Yeah right!

We have to prove that we are responsible and unfortunately I commonly see (often in these forums) a lack of research and the she'll be right attitude.

The $40,000 is not all that needs to be done, a huge amount of documentation is required. PROOF that should they escape they will not breed, eat our natives etc etc. All the $40,000 (or whatever figure is put on the charge) does is accompany the application.

Well If they decline it then they didn't really do anything

Sure they did. The money you're paying isn't for approval of the application, if it was it would be called a bribe. The payment is for examination of the application, any impact studies they need to do(In addition to what you have to provide). Then they can reject it.

Haha as you become more educated you begin to realize how crazy it is that some fish are still allowed in when you realize how easy it is for them to become established in our waterways. I'd certainly personally like to one day become qualified to be to put forth applications, though.

I already have the ecology degree, you won't be able to do a research project on the possible importation of fancy shrimp, and you will also know the reasons why it won't happen (disease, invasive threat to native flora, fauna, water quality, and economic endeavours)

One thing I've discussed with Ron is that just importing them will be expensive and have a high death count as they don't travel that well.

Well they really don't pose any danger here if they only allow strictly tropical types in and if they go through the normal process other animals go though to get here they pose no disease prop and I wouldn't want some just because their pretty some of them are really cool and I don't like to keep the native ones in tropical because they don't live as long which means it's probably very uncomfortable for them in tropical

Well they really don't pose any danger here if they only allow strictly tropical types in and if they go through the normal process other animals go though to get here they pose no disease prop and I wouldn't want some just because their pretty some of them are really cool and I don't like to keep the native ones in tropical because they don't live as long which means it's probably very uncomfortable for them in tropical

Doubt it would cost $40K.

It can be done, but you will need to find experts that can cover ERMAs application, but then it will also be approved by Biosecurity and that can take 2-5 years, they are useless , they deem is not important so they do it when they feel like it.

I put a application to them 3 years ago to add a few fish that was approved by ERMA. i got a letter from biosecurity to say that they don't have the funding for it. i told them i will pay for it . then they made up other excuses like they are to busy and it is not a priority.

Probably very uncomfortable for them in tropical! Actually its downright cruel to keep cold water fish/natives in tropical conditions. If people can't take the time to do it properly and buy a chiller or provide a reliable constant cooling source for their tanks then they deserve to be reported to the SPCA, who I can say are becoming a lot more active as far as fish are concerned.

Unfortunately up here the climate is becoming more subtropical and many more fish could survive in the wild than previously. MPI might not be great at some things but I am sure they realise that much.