How often do you water change and how much do change?

Silverdollarboy2

It depends entirely on the tank setup and load. I have done a small water change monthly on a well planted and lightly loaded tank to daily 90% changes on a heavily loaded bare tank containing heaps of fish being heavily fed to get them to a saleable size. No chlorine in the water here so straight from the tap--blended for temperature on heavy water changes. That was until water main repairs were chlorinated.

Depends-- it varies depending on whether I'm home very often or not. Because my tanks are small-- 9 litre, 20 litre, 30 litre, 40 litre-- I do a lot of water changes (paranoid here :P ), I think its around 20% every 2-3 days usually, with a max of 5 days between water changes. 9 litre gets 20% WC almost every day if I can manage it

I went for nearly nine months last year with the most awful bubble algae I had ever encountered. Thick bubbles all over the top of the tank, stopped all the water movement - was awful. Finally discovered it could be caused by no nitrates in the tank. The massive sword I had in there along with all my other plants were sucking the nitrate out and this caused the algae. Ended up ripping out the sword and now no algae :)

Plants do great things to reduce nitrates. Don't ever let anyone say it is impossible to have 0 nitrate in an established tank :)

50% every fortnight keeps things in check but i can let it go for around 3 months without co2 and ferts before it starts to get a little hazy (diane walsted method)

anyways here's how i do my water changes

1000ltr ibc filled and pre treated with prime-equilibrium-easylife + 5000lph eheim powercompact + 30 minute w/c with beer in hand

the key to success in fishkeeping is water quality and i will stick by that in many cases, you cant avoid waterchanges there essential and need to be done to reduce the influx of nutrients that build up overtime. its best to pre prep your water that way there minimal fluctuations with large changes , your fish will love you for it :-)

P1010467_zpsc6dfad9a.jpg

P1010620_zpsd25d82a3.jpg

P1010604_zpse749ac05.jpg

P1010609_zps820728a3.jpg

P1010618_zps9eece0f7.jpg