LED Light recommendation

91 ZERO

I have been looking at growing some SPS corals, and also increase the colouration of the softies which the tank is predominatly made up of currently. I keep reading conflicting info on spectrums etc etc.

The tank is a Aqua 275L cube with the standard T5 tubes.

Would something like this be an improvement and suit the size of tank 77x70x70? Right budget too and very good reviews. - Note I would need to get the 20.5" version., 120W, 16,000k.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Maxspect_27_ ... 33-vi.html

• 2 weeks later...

I am using the Maxxspect 160W nano razor on my reef and have been very pleased with it. Although it is a big cost initially I think that it is worth spending money on a quality light for the corals. Easy to program and the colour is great, cheap to run, looks good - but would look best on a suspension kit.

Those dimensions give a 375L tank?

It's quite deep, might start to get dim at the sandbed.

I have the 300W 44" version and it is pretty good but maybe my expectations were too high, it wasn't as good as I thought it might be.

FYI, if you open the power supply of the unit there is a switch to change between 110V and 240V so you can import from the USA without needing a new power supply.

Also if you have any problems with the unit you won't be covered by warranty unless you send it back to the USA.

Otherwise they are widely considered one of the best LED manufacturers.

Crank the intensity up and it might? 70cm is deep, but if you structure the reef with low light demanding corals through to the stonies at the top i would think it would be ok?

If you wanted you could get readings on intensity, maybe request them on their site?

Hmm good point. I've just re-arranged it so have most of the softies down low and a large flat topped bit of rock right at the top (about 25cm from the lights) where I can place some acro frags etc. I'll start with 3 or 4 of those little $10-$15 ones on Trade Me first to see how they go.

I'll try that first, might turn out I don't need the LEDs at all. Try the cheapest option first!

Thanks