Glass thick enough

Vinnie

So I haven't done anything major in a while since the way work has been, and had to scrap a few projects along the way.

Looking at building a tank for the living room for fresh water trop while re starting my marine project, anyway...

The tank I'm looking at building would be 2500 x 300 x 900mm (W x D x H). now I know for a normal tank build over the 600 - 700mm height you need to go thinker than 10mm glass.

With it only being 300mm front to back and good bracing could I get away with 10mm or to risky?

So I haven't done anything major in a while since the way work has been, and had to scrap a few projects along the way.

Looking at building a tank for the living room for fresh water trop while re starting my marine project, anyway...

The tank I'm looking at building would be 2500 x 300 x 900mm (W x D x H). now I know for a normal tank build over the 600 - 700mm height you need to go thinker than 10mm glass.

With it only being 300mm front to back and good bracing could I get away with 10mm or to risky?

Too bad we don't have a way of calculating glass thickness, and if there were it would be great to have it on the site...OH WAIT: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?page_id=1635

:slfg:

For a 1.1 safety factor(Just barely not breaking) you need 12mm. 16mm gets you almost 2. 3.8 is a commonly suggested factor to account for earthquakes, brats banging on it, etc. And that would require 22mm.

The length front to back is totally irrelevant, it doesn't effect the forces on the front or back panes.