2/3 Male Dwarf gourami or 1 male and 1 female?

panda123

So recently I purchased another male DG for my tank which already has a male DG in it. after the 1st day the new DG was being chased and bullied but the other one so I went to return it. Was wondering if this aggression will be present with a total of 3 males in a tank or would I be better off with a male and female setup?

Prob only one is best for your tank. If your tank was bigger with lots of hiding spaces you could get away with one or two more. They really only chase other males. The are perfectly peaceful otherwise and are happy to be by themselves. You will likely find your new guy will hide a lot, not eat much and waste away. I have two in a 260l tank and they constantly chase each other. Lucky though they have enough space to have their own areas to retreat to.

Sorry, I don't know about that. I have had one male and two female in Dwarf Sunsets, he was in heaven but as they got older one of the females just started attacking the other female and I eventually had to remove the picked on girl. The remaining male and female seemed to have a love/hate relationship. Often together but just as often chasing each other too.

If you're doing all male you need at least 3 males to spread the aggression. IMO all male is quite risky, especially as DGs are prone to infection.

My following recommendations on setups for DGs (actually all gourami, with the exception of types like Chocolate and Bettas):

1 Male

1 Male, 2+ Female

3+ Male (risky)

2+ Female

The only time I recommend 1 Male 1 Female is for breeding. 2 Male tends to be disastrous as one male is dominant and picks on the other.

Edit: When doing all male you simply cannot have females, or else there will be mayhem (for both the males and females)