Chemical to kill snails????

gamefreek101

Douse anyone know of the chemical that kills all snails in your tank and is harmless to fish?If so

# what is it called?

# were do you get it from?

# how much douse it cost?

# has anyone used it ?

Thankyou

Snailrid? Relatively harmless to fish as long as you follow the instructions.

It's dangerous to fish in soft water. Personally I avoid it.

What's your reason for wanting to get rid of the snails? I tend to keep snails in all my tanks as they have multiple benefits - MTS help to sift through sand, others help to clean up wasted food, rotting plants and even rotting fish (eg if you don'tnotice one, the snails certainly will).

Snail "booms" often come from overfeeding - cutting down on how much you feed can definitely help. They're only eating what you're giving them.

Many people find putting a lettuce leaf at the top of the tank helps to cut down the population. You stick a lettuce leaf at the top and just before lights on in the morning (many snails will come out more at night, MTS for example are nocturnal) you remove it - it can be covered in hundreds of snails.

Some people squish them on site (other than MTS which you can't squish) and find that helps - a lot of fish like the leftovers too.

Your final option is Botia loaches. Personally I tend not to recommend these because they're not often compatible. Dwarf chain loaches are the smallest and can go in a 120L minimum, but all loaches require groups of 6+ so that's really important to remember. Many people recommend clown loaches, but these guys can supposedly reach 50 years old and grow up to 30cm, making the incompatible for most tanks!

You can also get a dwarf puffer. Won't help with your snail population (highly aggressive fish that shouldn't be in a community tank), but in its own tank it'll give you something to feed the snails to :P

• 2 weeks later...
if you want to get rid of them you put some of your water in a bucket(make sure you don't have snails)and empty your tank and then add in new water after all the snails have been removed and then refill your tank

Are you saying empty the whole tank out and restart it from the beginning?

If you are going to seriously dose the tank with any product its best to remove the fish. That means you can treat it properly and wait to ensure no snails are still alive before placing the fish back in the tank.