When to wean baby Discus

megs27

Hi there above all my expectations I have just over 30 baby discus that are about 5 weeks old, the parents are doing well there is no broken skin or nicks out of them and the babies are eating decapsulated brine shrimp and nibbling on other food as well.

Do you have to remove the babies or are they okay to be left with mum and dad until they get to big to share the tank? :f77:

Baby discus need lots of food and water changes so they can grow well and not ended up being runts.

Best to get them a tank by themselves to grow them up. A 100 litres tank will be enough for the 30 odd baby with a daily 25% water change.

At 5 weeks old they should be big enough to eat colorbit pellets and finely grated ox heart.

Not sure what you would call them but mum is apparently a red melon and dad is a blue turk, she is quite bright red on the out line of her body and more browny red on her sides and dad is bright blue with red wiggly lines all over him! Sorry as you can tell I'm not up with my discus breeds!!!

Babies are getting big now and starting to colour up one baby decided to be half black.

• 2 weeks later...