How to stop crazy growth of soft corals

91 ZERO

I guess this a "good" problem to have, however it's now getting out of hand!

I have some polyps and red mushrooms in particular that seperate and spread like wildfire taking over other corals. I have fragged them and given them to other people - but of course the "stump" always grows into another within a week or two.

I've read up and apparently the best solution is to remove the rock, and physically chip off what is left - which is fine if you don't have a display of coral/coral rock all propped up against each other (which I do which means I would have to disassemble all the rock/coral in the tank).

Is there a way of cutting it back and then sticking a glue or something over the stump to stop it growing back?

Yep you can cover the stump with super glue and it stops it, but you need to have it out of the water first for the glue not to set instantly.

Also if you are screwing around cutting up soft corals I highly recommend you read this: http://www.nzmas.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14786 . It's predominantly for zoas/palys but the general principles apply.

Yep you can cover the stump with super glue and it stops it, but you need to have it out of the water first for the glue not to set instantly.

Also if you are screwing around cutting up soft corals I highly recommend you read this: http://www.nzmas.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14786 . It's predominantly for zoas/palys but the general principles apply.

I read another article about a person boiling live rock which he had removed from his tank. The unseen zoa or play nearly killed him and his wife and their two dogs with the fumes it was letting off.

I now wear gloves but its very hard to glue with gloves on.

Holy sh*t that pic is the exact polyps I'm dealing with. I did know they need to be handled carefully, and have always been relatively careful - but didn't know they were that dangerous. Luckily I haven't tried fragging those particular ones yet.

I will cut the mushrooms off and glue over the stumps but those polyps - I may just remove those from the tank completely.

Appreciate the help! :)

Ended up removing most of the coral rock today for a "clean", and did a big mushroom/polyp fragging session while I was at it so once the frags have settled I will trademe them.

Used gloves etc when dealing with those polyps and gently poured boiling water over the stumps.

Thanks for your help.