External Filter choices????

Baroness

I'm looking at getting an external filter for my Jewel Rio 180.

Tank size is 180 litres on external/outside dimensions, but when I measure where the actual water is inside the tank I get a volume of 165 litres.

So, I'm wanting to get an external filter for it.

I have narrowed down my (budget allowing) choices to either a Aqua One CF1000 or CF1200

or a SunSun 1000 litres per hour or 1400 litres per hour.

I have read reviews on here and online and found people seem to think these filters do OK.

My questions are...

Is more filtration better?

Does UV make any difference? Will I be wishing I got it if I don't?

I am planning on rescaping my tank. I currently run the Jewel filter it came with and have the 3D background etc....I will be taking all the internal stuff out and redoing the set-up. Im loving the look of a planted tank and want to use pressurised CO2 to grow a jungle. I will run some tropical fishies, but not a heavy load of fish.

- More filtration is definitely better :)

- Typically with UV it's recommended to put good money into it, otherwise it's rendered useless. If you want to go UV I'd recommend either a more expensive brand or an external UV filter - the Sunsun UV filters don't really rate that well. We don't have any UV on our tanks so I can't really say what the best is or whether it's needed

Personally I choose Aqua One over Sunsun :)

Ok, thanks

So 2 votes for CF1200

Are they really 440 tall? 520 tall with taps? That's fricken huge! Where do I put it? It wont fit in the tank stand LOL!

And 7.1kgs? I wont be able to lift that sucker when its full of water..... :o

Don't know the exact measurements but that sounds about right, they're about average size. If you can't lift 7kg you probably won't be able to handle any canister filter.

Don't know the exact measurements but that sounds about right, they're about average size. If you can't lift 7kg you probably won't be able to handle any canister filter.

Lol, I was just surprised. Ive not had a canister filter since I used an ancient eheim years ago. It wasn't as big as that though.

• 1 month later...

I've just had my 12+ year old filter fail (seals stuffed) seeing as everyone recommends them (CF1200's),

wheres the best place to order one from?

I'm a wee way from any city at the moment and would like to get one over the internets & hopefully have it delivered by fri-sat..

Aaa, I just looked up the CF1200, and it looks identical to the via aqua 650 pro that I have - are they parts compatible?

Appears so, Hollywood fish farm's website lists the O-rings and other parts for the 1200 as compatible with the 650.

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/detail/view/aqua-one-aquis-cf1000-canister-o-ring-10699/m/1194/

Thanks Ira - thats both good & bad - good because I'll probably save money, bad because I was planning on gluing the old one up & using it as a water cooling reservoir for my PC.

I'll strip it down in the weekend and see if I can find all the o-rings etc that need replacing.