Couriering fish

Caldwell

I agree with Reef :)

Ask before sending, don't just rock up with the fish. Pack well, double bag, polybox and heat packs.

I use Post Haste, never had a problem for years then twice within 3 weeks lately the Auckland branch lost my parcel - once coming to me, another when I was sending. Turned up eventually.

NZ Couriers won't ship out of Auckland yet other areas have no problem using them to send up here.

Used Fastways once and it cost me a fortune.

In theory it is a 2 day service incorporating the ferry but some freight does travel overnight alongside NZC freight ( they are loaded onto the same truck in Christchurch) after flying down from AKL.

True, thanks for that, I'm looking to change from Courier Post. They are amazing but so are their prices.

• 2 weeks later...

True, thanks for that, I'm looking to change from Courier Post. They are amazing but so are their prices.

Edit for above - Courier Post use to be amazing. Something seems to have changed at management level or above in the last year or so. Very disappointing. On a positive note though looks like we can reduce costs on larger items and improve the way we send the smaller items with other companies so not all bad.

Out of interest (or a desire for knowing what's out there), would people be keen on listing the volumes, weights and prices of couriering that they've used?

Mine:

CourierPost, in A4 pre-paid bag, less than 1 kg, from Auckland to Napier, $8.50.

For the sporadic courier user, these anecdotes give a fair indication in an open environment and aid customers in rewarding good prices and service with future patronage. It should be noted that special orders or those in bulk may be better accommodated by some couriers than others.

On a theoretical detour with my limited economics knowledge:

Having unlisted rates does prevent competitors from getting quotes to undercut, and allows more flexibility in pricing, aiding finer market segmentation (charging different consumers different prices based on what each consumer can afford instead of a single market price).

Having listed rates signals confidence to take on a potential competitor's price challenge.

Which will be best, who knows, but generally more information increases overall resource allocation efficiency if it doesn't severely enable anticompetitive behaviour.