Didn't know that how we vote is public

aotealotl

just came back from party vote ... I didn't know that it is possible to figure out who voted for which party. (who has the interest to figure that out in the first place ?) every person enrolled gets a number, the number is the page in the enrolment book of your district and the line on the same page (where your name and address is). the person in the voting office writes your number on the upper part of the voting paper which has a red printed consecutive number on it, the same number is also on the part he tears off and hands out to you (there the red number is covered by a black sticker which can be scraped off). so it is possible to find out exactly which person voted for which party. didn't know voting in NZ is public...

Could it? In theory, yes. But that's not the intent, it's not publically available and who cares anyway? If you're embarassed by who you voted for you should have voted for someone else.

it was just an observation as I didn't know that system, in the land I came from we got the papers delivered at home by mail, filled them out, placed everything into a sealed, neutral envelope with no numbers, names or symbols on it and on election day we put that envelope into the box.

no Ira, I am not, I am one of two in ten :wink: